Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:22 PM   #11

This should be compressed to 62K at 640X480. What is the ideal dimension and dpi for this type of post?
Attached Images

jdennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:33 PM   #12
Administrator

That looks fine to me, and the dial up users would probably appreciate the smaller filesize.

As far as any dpi settings (72dpi, etc.), I'd ignore them. They have no impact on how the photos will look. The file size and resolutionare the primary concerns (and 640x480 works well here).

BTW, you'll notice that the camera is using ISO 50 most of the time. If you need faster shutter speeds, you can setup a user profile with a higher ISO speed under the Quality Menu (keeping in mind that higher ISO speeds = higher noise).

It sounds like you're having fun with it so far. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:01 PM   #13

Jim, It was funny. I put the battery in the charger and went to pick up a friend of mine at the local hospital. When I got back it was just before dusk. I stuck the battery in the camera and walk out on my porch. I took three quick pictures and my wife called me for dinner. This is the way it came out of the box. I made no adjustmentsat all. I was assuming that it defaults to ISO auto. I'm just sitting down to read the manual. I think the the camera is beautifully finished andhas a very high quality look and feel. The monitor is very clear and bright. I stuckan SD Pro X 256 sd card in that I had used in my Panasonic and formatted it. It took just a few seconds. It obviously seems to be compatible. I am really impressed with the feel of the camera and I'm going to have a ball with it. If I blow this image up to a 100% it is very sharp. Even the bike rider is clearly visible. I'm really amazed at the detail. Thanks again for all of your suggestions on set-up. I really appreciate your interest and help. Jim
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:13 PM   #14
Administrator

I hope you enjoy it.

Make sure to visit some of the photo forums on the site here when time permits. I'm sure others would like to see some of your images. It sounds like being in the Coast Guard lets you get lots of nice photo ops.

As for being on camera defaults... Yes -- the defaultstend to workwell most of the time with this model (at least with the KD-510z/G500, and I doubt they changed anything for the G600 except for the CCD type).

I've found mine to require far less Post Processing compared to other cameras I've owned (except for "demon eye" when using the flash). :-)

Heck, I've seen users mention that they couldn't really improve on some of their photos taken with their G500/KD-510z. That speaks highly of the camera's image processing algorithms.

Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:29 PM   #15

I will definitely continue to monitor the website. It is a great source of valuable info. When I get something that is worthwhile, I'll post the photo. I just finished my term as District Rear Commodore of the Auxiliary. My AOR was St. Croix to the Sebastion Inlet in Florida. It sure would have been great to have this camera sooner. I did have a lot of fun with the Lumix, but many times it was impossible to carry around a camera of that size, especially in uniform. I'll still get a some time to get some good shots since I'm retired in the Keys and still involved operationally with the Coast Guard.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:42 PM   #16
Administrator

jdennen wrote:
Quote:
My AOR was St. Croix to the Sebastion Inlet in Florida. It sure would have been great to have this camera sooner.
Yes, I wish I would have had one like it when I was in the military. I spent6 years in the U.S. Navy (75-81), and got to visit a lot of interesting places (including St. Croix) while attached to the USS Valdez (FF-1096).

Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:31 AM   #17

Jim, This is the byciclist in the top rightpart of the above photo, You can't even see it in the above photo unless you blow it up. I would'nt be surprized that It wouldn't have been even clearer if I'd brace the camera somehow. I didn't see him when I took the photo. The street is a long way away. Jim
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:43 AM   #18
Administrator

This shot was taken at f/4.9 (largest available aperture at full zoom),ISO 50,and 1/125 second. Keep in mind that far less light reaches the sensor using zoom with most compact cameras.

Although 1/125 second is still within the "1/focal length rule of thumb" for shutter speeds to reduce motion blur from camera shake, it's probably a little slow for a moving bicycle. The focus point could have also contributed (it was probably focused on one of the boats).

In similar conditions, you may want to go into the Quality Menu and setup a user profile using ISO 100 versus Auto ISO, since the camera's Auto ISO is going to stay at ISO 50 unless shutter speeds fall below 1/focal length.

Then, the Autoexposure algorithms would have used shutter speeds twice as fast (1/250 second versus 1/125 second) in this lighting and focal length.

I keep my KD-510zset to ISO 100 most of the time for this reason (I prefer a touch of noise to slower shutter speeds, and ISO 100 is clean enough for my tastes).

Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:35 PM   #19

Jim,

I will do that. I've finished looking at the owner's manual. It is pretty straightforward and the setup that you described above will make it very quick to make changes that are necessary for quick ordinary shooting. The only reason that i sent the above photo, was that I was really surprised to see even that amount of detail from something that far away just before dark. The street has to be at least acouple hundred yards away. I think that I'll try it at ISO 100 for a while since it doesn't seem to be at all noisy from what I can see. Thanks again for your input.

Jim
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:20 AM   #20
Administrator

jdennen wrote:
Quote:
This is the byciclist in the top rightpart of the above photo, You can't even see it in the above photo unless you blow it up.
I just now "got" this part (you're showing us an enlarged crop from the original). I thought you were showing us a separate photo.:lol: