Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:34 PM   #1

I have a old film camera Minolta Dinax 5xi with two autofocus MAXXUM lens, a 70-210 1:4 (32) and a 35-105 1:3.5 (22). I am thinking to buy a Maxxum 7D to use both lens or to buy Nikon D70 with two similar lens. What do you think is better?.
belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:20 AM   #2

I am not the best person to answer your question. I have never held a D70 and can only talk from what i have heard from other people or from the online specifications. I recently acquired a 7D which i have not yet started to shoot since i had to sent it back for repair because i failed to properly upgrade the firmware. However i have used maxxum 9 and 7 extensively which have the same user interface which i love so much! And that´s has been one of the two main reasons for me to stay with KM and purchase 7D. The other reason is the AS built into the body which makes all my lenses iamge stabiliser at once. I think because of this, 7D is at the end
cheaper than D70 even though the body is more expensive. It is also built better than D70. I heard the viewfinder on D70 is terrible, so make sure to test and compare it to 7D before make desicions.
As soon as i start using 7D, i will come back here to tell you my initial impressions.

Regards, Ramin
raminolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:46 AM   #3

The only answer is that you need to go to a camera store and try both. See which one you find more intuitive. See which one you enjoy using more - or how they feel in your hand. Both are extremely capable of taking great photos.

I used a Minolta MF camera for long time - generally without even a small idea as to what I was doing. I switched to a Nikon N65 when the old Minolta began to die. I began caring about photography more and how to be a better photographer a couple years later. I then upgraded to a Nikon N90s.

When it came time to switch to digital I considered a Canon 20D, a Nikon D70 and a Minolta 7D. I was open to switching systems because my Nikon lenses were mediocre at best. I wanted to be able to continue to use film if I chose so I did not consider Olympus (which may have been an error, you may want to look into the E-1 as well).

Despite using a Nikon for several years the D70 was not what I wanted. No mirror-lock. No vertical grip. ISO selection was limited. Etc... I liked the Canon, but I personally liked the Minolta knob/button approach much more than the Canon 20D's menu based system.

Your personal uses and photographic tastes/requirements will differ from mine, so your decision making will not be anything like mine either. What is important is that you think about what you want your camera to do. Just as important is how you manipulate your camera to do it. That is why, in my mind, you can't do this without at least playing with the models (a friend's, in the store, whatever) first.
jcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:31 PM   #4

belibeli wrote:
Quote:
I have a old film camera Minolta Dinax 5xi with two autofocus MAXXUM lens, a 70-210 1:4 (32) and a 35-105 1:3.5 (22). I am thinking to buy a Maxxum 7D to use both lens or to buy Nikon D70 with two similar lens. What do you think is better?.
Having used a 7D myself. . .I must say get the 7D, you won't be sorry :G
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:37 PM   #5

What about to wait until the Minolta improve 7D to 8 or 10 Mpixel?.
belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote