Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:47 PM   #1

I'm trying to choose a new camera. My old one used compactflash andAA rechargeables. I would like to be able to reuse them.I'd like to get a 8-10x zoom and these cameras are available in my price range. The Minolta doesn't use cf but is on sale at HH Gregg for $199. Has anyone used these and compare them for me?

Also I found the S1 IS on sale for $204 online but when I called they said it was an import camera and didn't come with a warrantee or manual. If I wanted the US version it would cost me $329. What's up with that?
shughes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:19 AM   #2

Does the Minolta have image stabilizer?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 7:56 AM   #3

Not that I can find.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:04 AM   #4

>>Also I found the S1 IS on sale for $204 online but when I called they said it was an import camera and didn't come with a warrantee or manual. If I wanted the US version it would cost me $329. What's up with that?<<

I got the S1 IS because of all my CF memory. I have loved it. No real complaints. It does have those low light issues, but has a lot and I do mean a lot of manual capabilities to compensate and more. I went down in megapixels with it but wasn't needing all I had before anyway. I got a great shot of the dog last weekend because of that flexible LCD display. When he sees me point the camera he hates it, but I can hide around the corner and twist the display so he doesn't know I'm taking the picture... Works good on kids too.

I hear the Z10 is a good camera (It does have image stabilization) with a lot of the same issues as the IS and at 199, wow. I don't know what the deal is on prices for the IS. I got it a year ago at Best Buy for 349 and it hasn't dropped substantially even though it is getting a little long in the tooth relative to the market. But I think you can get the next step up now with the Minolta at around the same price as the S1. If you have the 329, now, I would go up in the Z line (and 4 MP, I believe) or wait for the S1 IS replacement, but pricing would probably be a kicker there, but then maybe then they would reduce the price on the S1...

Kavoom

Kavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:26 AM   #5

I had to jump on the Minolta at that price. It was a 3 day sale. It seems to be working well. I'm still learning the settings but the picture quality seems fine. I waited a few months after the big electronics shows thinking the new lines would be out and they would closeout the old models. Not much luck there.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:41 AM   #6

Kavoom wrote:
Quote:
I hear the Z10 is a good camera (It does have image stabilization)
Kavoom
This is incorrect. The Z10 does not have image stabilization.

At $199, it would be a lot of camera however....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote