Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:26 AM   #1

:?I am so confused!

This is my first post. I own a very modest Samsung 1.3 digimax and I really need a good all round camera. I need a camera that will take good clear photos of clothing, showing true colour and detail, particularly in low light situations. I would also like to be able to use the camera for hobbyist photography, picturing landscapes etc. I do not need this to photograph people particularly well.....

I had decided on theCanon Powershot A95but it is a little expensive for me at £198. I then decided to go for the A85 as it's £150 in good old Argos and I have nectar points to redeem as well as some store vouchers. Then I looked at the Canon A400 which I can get for around £90 from Pixmania, and then someone mentioned Hp Photosmart and any Sony Mavica.

I really dont know what to go for. I'd be happy with a simple camera that has a good flash and zooms in on detail. Im fed up with grainy, blurry grey photos. I can never shoot reds and pinks properly, either they're too dull or too bright. Maybe it's just me?

Can anyone help? thanks xxxx
leatherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:38 PM   #2

Leatherlite, as you will see in other postings from otherposters the common consensus is that there is no 'perfect' camera. I've owned several and fallen in most of the pits there are to fall in.

If the majority of your pictures will be indoors look the hardest at cameras that have a 'hotshoe' mount, so that you will be able to add an external flash at some point. Most indoor photos really need that extra light to capture a 'real' photo of your subject. I use a Canon G3 for my indoor photography and the Canon S1 IS for outdoor photography. The G3 has the hotshoe where the S1 does not and the S1 has the lens power where the G3 does not.

But after that it's what camera fits your budget and feels the best in your hand that counts. Good Hunting.

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:42 PM   #3

Thank you mrcoons

I know you are right, it's a bit like buying the right fitting shoes I guess! I now think the A85 will be unsuitable as the larger pixels will be slower to load. I'm looking for a 3 mp and suppose the A400. Im not too familar with the jargon, dont even think Ive come across 'hotshoe' so what do I look for in simple terms, if simple terms exist?! I want to spend between £80-£150 but dont want to buy something 'flashy' (excuse the pun!) when I wont even be needing it. I've just played around with my 1.1 pixel digimax and although the close up shots are brilliant outdoors, the far off ones are just too blurry, even within a couple of metres away. I guess im looking for a cameral with a wide angle, sharpness, good flash.......

:?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:33 PM   #4

A hot shoe is a place on a camera where an external flash can be attached. Most point and shoot digital cameras have flash units that are way to close to the lens to get a decent picture. I have attached a picture of what this looks like on the Canon G6.

I use a Canon S1 for my outside shots and the Canon G3 (with an external flash unit) for indoors pictures.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Attached Images

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:11 PM   #5

Hi Leatherlite, hey have you got a dilema have you considered the Olympus MJU range, they are a cracking little camera, have a look on these sites, they are the cheapest I can find and they both have shop fronts, so you are pretty safe ~
http://www.fotosense.co.uk/shop2.asp?catID=1
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/digital-cameras.htm
I sure hope this helps ~ just read the reviews and listen to the advice and you won't go far wrong.
smokeydeadlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:22 PM   #6

Have a look at this leatherlite ~ http://www.fotosense.co.uk/shop_deta...gital%20Camera but check the price on the other site, it has an all metal body and is showerproof,don't like to say waterproof. The reviews I have seen suggest it takes a cracking indoor as well as outdoor pic.
As mrcoons says he prefers the Canon and it pays to listen to folk especially when they have the first hand experience.
smokeydeadlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:55 PM   #7

leatherlite wrote:
Quote:
Thank you mrcoons

I know you are right, it's a bit like buying the right fitting shoes I guess! I now think the A85 will be unsuitable as the larger pixels will be slower to load.
Leatherlite:

Don't limit yourself based on that. First of all, the additional time to load 4.0MP over 3.2MP images is insignificant. Second, all digitals allow you to alter the settings to shoot at lower MP resolution if you prefer for the sake of speed or space. They also allow you to save time or space by shooting at the higher MP resolution but with more compression--therefore much more flexibility in formats. But when you need the high quality, it is available to you. Makes more sense to buy the highest MP you can afford with the other features you want. If you want to trade MP for more zoom or other features to fit your budget, that's understandable. But don't rule out MP just to save load time or space.

hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:41 PM   #8

Thanks to all of you but still undecided

The A85 I *think* has a hotshoe to add on lens. I just dont know if i'll need it as i've been mananging with my basic camera.

I will re-read reviews and hopefully find the perfect camera for me (if it exists!).