Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:09 AM   #1

Hello i am a total newbie to digital cameras and i am looking to buy a digital camera in the next 48hours, my problem is as everyone has s the more you look the more you find, and you get swayed from what you are actually looking for.

my needs

rechargable battery

4million pixels minumum

optical zoop X3 minimum

digital zoom X3 minimum

usb compatable

price range up to £300

i have been looking at a Sony DSCP120 Digital Camera

link below

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...lickfrom=image

other cameras in my price range are here,if someone with some camera knowledge could have a look and post what they would recommend and why, i would appreciate it very much link below

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...amp;currPage=2

the above link is from where i wll be buying from, so unless you know of a camera that is very good for my price range and is sold in the uk high street please post that camera and i will take a look..

many thanks

a total newb
farmergiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:14 PM   #2

That camera looks like maybe an upgrade to the DSC-P100 for which Steve gave a very good review. Only thing to consider is that the battery is proprietary. Also maybe consider the Canon A95--it runs on regular AA size batteries. The 20 pounds you would save would enable you to buy a NiMH battery charger and rechargeable batteries. Either camera looks like a winner to me.
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:52 PM   #3

Hope this helps Farmer Giles.
Copy from another post ~
I have been looking at digital cameras for ~ well too long now, I have a cheapie but need to upgrade, I've read the reports, I've held the cameras, I've tried the cameras and boy is the competition fierce., At the end of the day If I could afford it it would definitely be a digital SLR but the price is way out of my reach albeit their price is dropping all the time, a good compromise is the Nikon 8800, a cracking bit of kit, see Steve's report but at £580 I would sooner spend the difference on an SLR. I keep on coming back to good old Olympus and with the specs' of the 770UZ well what more could you want, even the dinky remote, I must have read more reports than a retiring headmaster, albeit mine all related to cameras, almost every time it comes back to the picture quality of Olympus and the added benefit of the 2 year warranty. I have just found a site that has the 770 at £224 ~ they have just dropped the price 2 weeks ago ~ by £70 ~ must be a NEW model due out ~ anyone want the link let me know.
Hope this helps Farmer Giles ~ oh by the way the 770 comes complete with remote control, wireless ~ 10 times optical ~ 4 times digital ~ charger etc. I have not seen a bad report yet, try to catch THON, he has had one for some time now and apparently just loves it.
smokeydeadlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:55 PM   #4

p.s. by the way the other post was mine ~ lol.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:29 PM   #5

To Smokeydeadlegs:

I recently purchased the Olympus C-755 (C-750), thepredecessor to the 770 and am very pleased with it. The zoom is amazing. I liked the idea of AA type batteries and the fact that it was larger and therefore more comfortableto hold than the 770, but the 770 benefits from faster zoom speed and a better flash. But it's still not ideal for low light shooting and if you check the reviews of the Sony or Canon which I mentioned as possibilities for farmergiles, you'll find that both have AF assist lamps and both are very fast in operation. In additon I checked the picture quality and they rival the Olympus in detail and color. So for an all around digital, I think they are more appropriate than the Olympus. I take pics mostly outdoors in daylight so the Olympus really fits the bill for me. BTW, you can buy the RM-1 remote separately if you don't like the cheaper one they include--both work with the 770.
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:36 PM   #6

Hi and thanks for that hakaplan it is really appreciated, I will check out the reviews on what you have suggested tomorrow ~ got to keep an open mind ~ hows Philly ? lol.
thanks again, Tony.:-)
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:45 PM   #7

p.s. it's that 10 x optical the 2 year warranty, battery charger included, and I have just found it for £220 ~ GBP. Cheers, Tony.