Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Sony DSC-W1 vs Sony DSC-W5
Sony DSC-W1 1 50.00%
Sony DSC-W5 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:00 PM   #1

For firstI wanted to buy Sony DSC-W1, but whan I saw that come out this new model Sony DSC-W5, I am little bit confused. From what iheard W5 have onboard 32 mb memory and W5 have better batteries. Are there any other differences that I would need to know? And at the end wich one is better of making photos or are they the same?

Wich oneI need to choose?

Iwould be greatful for any comments and advices.

Thanks.
Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 4:27 PM   #2

As far as I know, they are exactly the same concerning image quality, usage etc. The only difference is the build in 32mb and some cosmetic change. Better battery life? I must confess, I never heard about that.
I would go for the W1 if you can get it for a good price. But the W5 is only a few bucks more and looks better :-)
Not really a help, is it? I know, sorry.
Iceseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:25 AM   #3

Any other comments?
Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:36 AM   #4

As far as I can tell, the pictures they take will be the same. The style is slightly different and the extra 32 MB is built in to the W5but supplied as a memory stick for the W1. They both use regular AA batteries. They each offer outstanding video choices but neither allows you to use the zoom while making a video.

One of the best features of both cameras is the 2.5 inch LCD display, which allows you to see enough detail to know immediately if your picture is in focus and take another picture if it is not. TheLCD of the W5 is 115K pixelswhereasthe W1 has 123K pixels. I don't know to what extent this would affect the detail but it certainlydoesn't representa stepUPwith the W5!

Because there are good discounts available for the W1, I would say either go with the W1 or wait a few more weeks for the W7...which will be a 7, rather than 5 MP camera. That is significant in this model not only because it allows you to take 7MP pictures but can take even better advantage of Sony's very useful "smart zoom" feature when you have it set to take smaller pictures.
Aristillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:43 AM   #5

Yeah, the reduction in screen pixels is linked to the improved battery life. The W5 uses AAs just like the W1, but Sony decided improved battery life was important, and one of the efficiency measures was to reduce the pixel count (but not the physical size) of the LCD. From what I've heard though, the new screen is looking very good.

The main issue with the W1 was the overzealous noise reduction algorithm, which had a number of people complaining about "soft" or "blurry" pictures. This is probably a firmware thing, so I'm holding off choosing until I see an indepth review of the W5 or W7 (Steve?) - I'm hoping they've tweaked the noise reduction in response to the criticism.

Other than the differences already mentioned they are *very* similar cameras - I suspect that's the reason why there aren't that many W5 reviews around so far...

g k
gordon k is offline   Reply With Quote