Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:57 PM   #1

13 yr old daughter is buying a digi cam, she has just under $200,here are her needs:

Small Size

Takes Video

Takes decent indoor pictures (multiple ISO settings)

NO NEED for manual settings, can be all auto

Highest optical zoom feasible within price range

I have 2 xD cards so Olympus would be nice ( NO fuji)

Autofocus (obviously)

cranfordrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:53 PM   #2

Just about everything for just under $200, and that comes from one of the major manufacturers, will be: small, takes video, takes decent indoor shots, have multiple ISO, and be automatic (including focus andISO), and have a 3x zoom (the exception being the Canon A510, which is 4x). Therefore, the only requirement you have that might help to narrow down the list of the literally hundreds of potentials is the xD requirement. Since only Fuji and Olympus use these, and you don't like Fuji, then it would be a simple matter to go to the reviews and find the Oly's that you can afford, and choose from that short list.

If you go to your local Wal-mart, you might find the Oly 535, which runs about $149. It would satisfy all your requirements. There is also the better 540, which runs closer to $199, but I've seen it on sale for about $150. The 540 is capable of higher ISO, so that might come in handy. It too would satisfy all of your requirements.

If you can't find either of those two locally, and don't want to mail order, then you will have to either accept Fuji, or go with something that doesn't use xD. Fuji makes cameras that are just as good as anything else in a comparable price, so you can easily find one that fits your needs, at your price level. If you can't get Oly and don't want Fuji, then you can consider several other good buys at your local Wal-mart. I was there just a few days ago, and they had a nice little 3.2mp/3x HP for only $129. There were also some Kodaks and Nikons within your price range as well, and of course all would satisfy your requirements.

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:15 AM   #3

cranfordrd wrote:
Quote:
13 yr old daughter is buying a digi cam, she has just under $200,here are her needs:

Small Size

Takes Video

Autofocus (obviously)

You're gonna hate me for saying this... but the Fuji A330 is one of the best in class 3.2 MP compact 199.99 dollar cameras available.

On that note... it does one up the Olympus models for speed, quality, and features.

Just the truth in the reviews...

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:15 AM   #4

cranfordrd wrote:
Quote:

Small Size

Takes Video

Autofocus (obviously)

You're gonna hate me for saying this... but the Fuji A330 is one of the best in class 3.2 MP compact 199.99 dollar cameras available.

On that note... it does one up the Olympus models for speed, quality, and features.

-tlmiller10
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:15 AM   #5

cranfordrd wrote:
Quote:

Small Size

Takes Video

Autofocus (obviously)

-tlmiller10
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:15 AM   #6

cranfordrd wrote:
Quote:

Small Size

Takes Video

Autofocus (obviously)

-tlmiller10