Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:09 AM   #1

Hi, I want to buy a DSLR soon and have been looking at Nikon D70, Canon 350D, Pentax *ist-ds and Olympus E-300.

This will be my first SLR and I don't want to spend much more than $1000. I'll be taking pictures of family (indoor and outdoor)and scenary + a lot of sport action pictures.

Can someone please help me decide? Also, should I get these cameras with the standard lens included, or should I just get thebody and a separate lens. If so, what lenses would you recommend for these cameras that would fit my needs?

Seems like all of these cameras have nice features, and they are all superior in some areas so it's really hard to decide. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
perca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:00 AM   #2

Hi Perca,

I just wrote this, it might be helpful. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...33&forum_id=87

Ive seen all of the cameras and the Canon 350d is something special
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:13 AM   #3

Thanks! It was quite helpful. I've seen and tried the 350d in a store myself, but have no experience with the others (pentax, nikon, olympus) other than reading a bunch of reviews on the web. Did you check out other brands than Canon?

Old Mar 30, 2005, 7:42 AM   #4

Check out www.infodigitalcamera.com

I had to decide between, the D70 and350XT. Please note, there is also a Nikon D50 which has just been released??. Anyhow, the decision is yours

waheguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:47 AM   #5

To me it all depends how much you are going to get into SLR photography, because if you look at the lenses available (including submarques like Sigma) then you are really limited to Canon and Nikon. The trouble is deciding between the two, since opinions seem very divided and loyal to their brand I suggest you go here and have a look:-

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

For myself, before the Canon 350 came out, I bought the D70 because the standard lens is by all accounts better made and better quality than the Canon. However, I hardly ever use it because I have bought more advanced lenses, hence my initial comments. At the end of the day go to a shop and hold both of them. I know that the Nikon fits me like a glove and as such if I am comfortable with a camera I am more relaxed and take better pictures. The Canon, for some reason, does not sit comfortably in my hand. In terms of photograhical ability I reckon there is really nothing to recommendagainst the other, so it is purely down to personal preference.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:56 AM   #6

Just to state my bias, I own the Canon 20D.

The D70 is a very good camera. I've also heard good things about the DRebel (I assume the new 350D is as good as the old one.) I know nothing about the other cameras you list.

Have you ever used an SLR before? Why I ask is that the interface on the DRebel line of cameras is slightly reduced to save production cost over the 10D/20D line (and reduce cost.) Personally, I do not like the interface, so I'm happy I didn't get it.

I would serious suggest that you go to a camera store and try out both cameras. How they work, how they feel... all that matters.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:15 AM   #7

eric s wrote:
Quote:
How they work, how they feel... all that matters.
Eric's comments are apposite. If you don't like how the camera feels in your hands, or if you don't like how the controls operate, you won't take good pictures. All the cameras you mention will take award-winning photos in the hands of an award-winning photographer. All will take trash in the hands of . . . well, you get the idea. Just because Nikon and Canon have the largest lineup of lenses has no bearing on whether that lineup is what you personally need. Olympus has great glass, too, and covers much the same range with fewer lenses. Each brand has its own philosophy toward color and detail, so you won't get exactly the same results from them.
If this is your first SLR, you don't have to get the best, since it's unlikely you will stay the same photographer forever. Get the camera that feels best in your hands now, and that is in a price range you feel comfortable with. Get it with whatever kit lens it comes with, and then practice like crazy. Find out what the camera will do, and how to do it. Learn about post-processing, and how to make so-so photographs much better than they first appeared. If you work at it, you'll be happy, and you'll learn about what you want in your next camera.
Good luck.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:19 AM   #8

Thanks for all the help everybody. I think I've narrowed it down to either 350D or *ist-Ds. The main reason for this is the size/weight of these cameras. I'll be carrying it with me a lot, so I want asmall/light cameraandI don't won't to carry a bunch of lenses.

So I'm thinking of getting the Pentax with the kit lens (P-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6) or the Canon with the EF-S 18-55 USM (USM version of kit lens). Any thoughts on these combinations?

Regarding Nikon D50 it seems similar to the above cameras in size and probably is a superb camera, but as far I can see it is not released yet...

Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:03 AM   #9
KSV

If you really about to have *ONE ONLY* lens - as least for a while, I would suggest SIGMA 18-125; IMHO 18-55 will not cover all your requirement
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:20 AM   #10

Thanks for the tip, it seems like a fine lens. I heard that it maybe did not perform so well under poor lighting conditions however. Do you have any experience with it? What about the speed of focus compared to 18-55mm?