Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2005, 7:17 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

I have a Canon S1-IS which is just not cutting it for me. I had a Canon S50 before, and am finding that 3.2Mp is just not a high enough resolution - the difference is too great. Now, I'm not trying to pick a fight over better resolution here, but the lack of certain features on the S1-IS are just getting annoying as well.

I love the motion compensation and the unreal video this thing will take, but the pictures in low light are terrible. I am having nothing but mechanical troubles with the camera (it's been sent in under warranty 3 times now, and each time comes back with something else wrong or non-functional).

I would like to buy a new camera that has:

1) The same motion compensation feature
2) Takes video of the same quality
3) At *least* 5 Mp resolution
4) Can shoot RAW images
5) Uses Compact Flash media
6) Has excellent low-light focussing capabilities
7) Has equivalent or better optical zoom

I know this seems like a tall order short of buying an SLR and actually learning how to take pictures properly.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:22 PM   #2

I suspect you won't get many replies because such a camera doesn't exist.

Point by point:

1)Many ultrazooms now feature IS/AS/VR
2)Z3 and Z5 have excellent video capability as well.
3)Z5, FZ5, FZ20 all have 5MP resolution, CP8800 has 8MP
4)Only camera with a 10x zoom that does RAW is CP8800 (but it doesn't do unlimited video)
5)CP8800 does
6)if it's not a DSLR, don't count on it for low-light.
7)all of the above do

Frankly, you HAVE TO relax some requirements. Even a DSLR wouldn't fulfill your requirements, they all DON'T do video.

The new Sony DSC-H1 might hold some promise, but it uses MS.

Ask yourself some questions:
How important is 2)? Can't you keep your Canon for that? Of course, you'd have to carry around two cameras. How important is 4)? Will you actually use RAW? How important is 5)? Memory is rather cheap these days, and getting cheaper. How much memory do you have tied up in CF? If it's less than 512MB, you do realize that you can get 512MB for $30 right now, don't you? Forget 6), unless you're willing to sacrifice some zoom. How important is 10x zoom, 7)? How about half the telephoto, up to 200mm? Then you could look at 8MP prosumers other than the CP8800.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:52 PM   #3

thebac wrote:
Quote:
I suspect you won't get many replies because such a camera doesn't exist...

Ask yourself some questions:
How important is 2)? Can't you keep your Canon for that? Of course, you'd have to carry around two cameras. How important is 4)? Will you actually use RAW? How important is 5)? Memory is rather cheap these days, and getting cheaper. How much memory do you have tied up in CF? If it's less than 512MB, you do realize that you can get 512MB for $30 right now, don't you? Forget 6), unless you're willing to sacrifice some zoom. How important is 10x zoom, 7)? How about half the telephoto, up to 200mm? Then you could look at 8MP prosumers other than the CP8800.
#2 is very important, and one of the reasons I bought the S1 IS

#4 is a nice feature, but not a requirement. I would use RAW, but high-res JPG is okay.

#5 is pretty important. I have 3 x 1GB, 1 x 256MB, 1 x 32MB (which came with the camera).

#6 is also important. I have found with the lack of a low-light AF-assist on the S1 IS, it takes *brutal* low light pictures.

#7 is reasonably important. 7x or better would be ideal.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:48 AM   #4

You might be out of luck then. I believe that the only big zoom cams with IS/AS/VR and an AF-assist lamp are the Panasonic FZ series and the Nikon CP8800. The FZ take SD and do crappy video, while the 8800 limits video clips.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 4:38 AM   #5

thebac wrote:
Quote:
You might be out of luck then. I believe that the only big zoom cams with IS/AS/VR and an AF-assist lamp are the Panasonic FZ series and the Nikon CP8800. The FZ take SD and do crappy video, while the 8800 limits video clips.
*sigh*

I kinda figured that would be the case. I was hoping some of the new Canons would be image stabilized, but they aren't... kind of strange if you ask me...

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 31, 2005, 6:45 PM   #6

hostile wrote:
Quote:
thebac wrote:
Quote:
*sigh*

I kinda figured that would be the case. I was hoping some of the new Canons would be image stabilized, but they aren't... kind of strange if you ask me...

Thanks for the help!
Don't give up hope yet. Canon did not release a successor to its 10x S1 IS or 7x Pro1 yet, so when they do, maybe the S2 will have a AF-assist lamp and more MP. Or maybe the Pro2 will have IS and an AF-assist lamp and the same movie mode as the S1. Realistically, though, I think you're asking for a little too much. What you might consider doing is buying a second camera that does things the S1 doesn't (like a G6) to complement it. Of course between money and convincing the spouse/significant other (if applicable) that might be a daunting task...
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:06 PM   #7

thebac wrote:
Quote:
Don't give up hope yet. Canon did not release a successor to its 10x S1 IS or 7x Pro1 yet, so when they do, maybe the S2 will have a AF-assist lamp and more MP. Or maybe the Pro2 will have IS and an AF-assist lamp and the same movie mode as the S1. Realistically, though, I think you're asking for a little too much. What you might consider doing is buying a second camera that does things the S1 doesn't (like a G6) to complement it. Of course between money and convincing the spouse/significant other (if applicable) that might be a daunting task...
"Daunting" is a very good euphemism... how about f%&*#@g impossible?

I sat down last night, upgraded the firmware to my S1, pulled out the manual and read it cover to cover yet again.

I reconfigured the camera on certain settings to better deal with the low-light situations in which I shoot. So, I'm hoping that through education, I can maximize the power of the camera until something better comes down the pipe...
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:24 AM   #8

The Olympus ultrazoom cameras have the same low light focusing problem. I have used a few workaround solutions with success. One thing I have tried is to focus on a laser pointer that projects a geometric shape. Itworks pretty well--for at least as far as an AF lamp would work. Another solution is to use manual focus, but rather than try to actually focus manually (almost impossible), just set the focal distance to approximate distance of the object and set aperture priority to 4.5. It works for me. Sometimes achieving these workaroundsis more rewarding.
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote