Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:30 PM   #1

I will be buying a digital SLR sometime in the next month but I don't know which one. I have been looking at the Nikon D70 and the Canon Digital Rebel XT. Right now I'm still in the middle, not leaning towards one or another. I have no preference for one brand over the other, but I have an idea of what I like better on each camera. The thing I hate about the Canon is the short battery life and cheap lens. The thing I hate about the Nikon is the low ISO of only 200. That's it I know for now. Also I don't know if the Nikon will be replaced in the next couple months.
Any help?
BTW is there anyone that owns one of these that has found a dissapointment or shortcoming of it?

-Daniel
daniel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:12 PM   #2

I had the same decision to do. But I was (am) a little short of money, so I decided to buy the Rebel XT.

First, yes, Nikon will bring out 2 new models! The D50 and the D70s. Search this forum a little and you'll find out more about them.

Nikon also has only 6Megapixel compared the 8 from the Rebel XT. I like also the Digic II chip thats in the Rebel XT. It's the same as in the 20D, so the image quality will be about the same.
Short battery life? 600 shots, 400 with 50% usage of flash is not short for me. But ok, I'm used to a 150 shot Canon Ixus V...

The Iso thing is a concern. 100 is a must, not only because you have less noise.

I would wait a little untill Steve has his review of the Rebel XT finished.

And no, unfortunately I don't have my Rebel XT already. Canon (Switzerland) is short of them and I'll get mine in about 3 weeks or more :sad:
Iceseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:35 PM   #3

The ISO 200 of the D70 is not a shortcoming. ISO 100 would offer little benefit over and above the ISO 200 setting. The only reason the D2X has ISO 100 is because it crams twice as many photosites into the same amount of sensor real estate, and is therefore twice as susceptible to noise.
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:46 PM   #4

Yeah Im on the horns of the same decesion too. But for me its the orginal rebel (ie 6.0m) rebel xt and the nikon d70 and I'm looking for a replacement for olympus c5050 that Ive always been disappoint in it picture quality in anything over its base 64iso settings. The c5050 really only takes anything but so so gaining color washed out pictures in anything but bright daylight sun (or anything over 64iso) and goes to flash solutions were a camera with a base iso 200 could handle nicely with natural light. So I find the d70's base iso of 200 a great feature and from the pics Ive seen at d70 base iso 200 it does not give up much picture quality to digital rebel or rebel xt. Hmmm.... . When it come to lens you get with the kit nikon wins, the d70's lens has a greater useful zoom range and the glass is higher quality. Another feature that the nikon is superior to both the canon d rebel and the rebel xt is speed of focus in low light thanx to it indepent auto focus lamp on the body and not on the flash. The other route though could be to get one of canons rebel bodys and get a better after market lens like a new digital only tamaron, sigma, etc... lens. Hmmmmmmm, decesions , decesions.... .
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:42 AM   #5

This isn't quite the answer you're looking for, but here's a detailed discussion comparing the Rebel XT and the Canon 20D. Gives some hands-on usage info that might help.

http://www.completedigitalphotograph...ndex.php?p=333
wrench100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:28 AM   #6

hey wrench 100 thanx for the post it does have some useful info, please anyone else with constructive Ideas , options or oppions please feel free to post thank you for the help
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:10 AM   #7

I was at the same crossroads as you at one point. I liked the orginal Digital Rebel over the XT simply because of the ergronomics.* The Digital Rebel XT is entirely too small IMO.* *Anyhow, then the D70 entered the picture,no pun intended, and it felt better than both Canon products.* The build was much more solid and picture quality is excellent, provided the user know how to use the tool he or she has purchased.**You'd have to spend another $300 bucks to equal the kit lense that Nikon gives you in comparison to the kit lense on the Canon, which is more like a $100 lens.* I'm not sure why Canon does this as they have plenty of great lenses to give the camera better pics out of the box, especially in terms of the more expensive 20D that has the same stock lens as the Digital Rebel.Also, the original Digital Rebel is slow compared to the Nikon D70 in terms of start up speed and shutter speed.* This was a definitive for me as I can't tell you how many shots I've missed with my film cameras due to it now powering up immediately.* The Nikon powers up in .2 seconds which is instant, the Canon is about 2-3 seconds which could mean a shot missed.Both cameras can give excellent picture quality, but its the personal preferences that usually decide the purchase.
cmvsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:09 AM   #8
Super Moderator

i disagree... the kit lens on the canon is remarkably sharp for its size and weight thanks to it being tailor made for the aps-sized sensor, other than focal length coverage, there is not a heck of a lot of difference between the nikon and canon..

also build quality is not really an issue here.. both d70/s and the rebel xt use a polycabonate frame and i know the canon uses a stainless steel lens mount that was not found in the original digital rebel that is just as strong as the lens mount found on the 20d.. so any perceptions of superior build of the nikon are really just perceptions, no real differences here..

speed, again not a whole lot of difference.. both start up in approx .2 secs and both have nearly non-existant shutter lag..

image quality gives a slight nod to the rebel xt simply by its increased resolution, but not by a large margin.. arguments could be made over which handles noise better, but basically, not a lot of difference..

bottom line-- both are excellent cameras that will suit you equally well.. get down to your local pro shop tomorrow and get your hands on these cameras.. that should make up your mind for you...

best regards, dustin

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:47 AM   #9

Yes, both cameras are capable of delivering high quality pictures, and at this stage in the game, I don't prefer one brand over the other.However, I'm not sure that you can compare the Nikon kit glass versus the Canon's, as they are in two different playfields.* The Nikon Nikkor DX 18-70mm factually bests the Canon lens with a superior AF-S motor, brighter f/4.5 aperture at its longest length, and low dispersion ED glass. This of course isn't mentioning the longer telephoto capability.Again, these DSLR's have their advantages and disadvantages, but both tools are incredible for picture quality versus price especially when you consider only a few years ago they were out of reach, me included, from the typical consumer.*It really just breaks down to preference.
cmvsm is offline   Reply With Quote