Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:11 AM   #1

I want a small compact digi camera, 3.2 mp or above, with good quality pictures.

Choices:

Canon Digital IXUS 30 (also maybe known as an sd200)

Pentax Optio S5i

Casio Exilim EX S 100

Fujifilm FinePix F440

PLease recommend as you see suitable...

Many thanks

braders100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:23 AM   #2

My favorite would be the Sony DSC W5. It's compact, has very good picture quality and it's incredible fast. It's around 300-350$

If you want something as slim as the Canon ixus 30 or smaller, take a look at the Sony DSC T-33.
Iceseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:09 AM   #3

In only 3 shots you managed to hit the only camera I ever remember Steve saying didn't have a sharp lens in his review. It seems Casio isn't quite there with their clear ceramic lens – whatever that is. All of the small Casios used Pentax lenses before the S100. They should probably have stuck with the Pentax lenses until they sorted out the transparent ceramic thing.

Now that Fuji has starting moving away from their Super CCDs they are making good cameras. Nobody but Olympus and Fuji will likely ever make anything that uses xD cards. They are pricier than equivalent SD cards and no better. SD is standard for small equipment, so I can pull my SD card from my camera and view the results in my Palm Tungsten. My Oly with xD is just dead-end. I'll likely never make the mistake again of buying equipment that uses proprietary memory unless it is heads and shoulders over the competition. But the camera seems decent. Steve doesn't seem to have a review, so here is DCRP's: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml

The S5I is a nice little camera. It has a Mp over the F440 and seems to be around the same price. Cross-referencing reviews it seems to focus better in low light, although neither have a focus assist. They are both point and shoot cameras, but the Pentax has manual focus and more features. The Pentax has a dated movie mode but the Fuji's is downright crappy – I didn't know anyone was making cameras with small movies limited to 10 FPS. The S5i seems to have a better shutter lag and the 440 a better shot-to-shot time. The Pentax has a stronger flash. Not great, but good for a tiny camera. Beach Camera has it for $224 plus shipping and it think it is the pick of your list at that price.

All really tiny zoom cameras seem to have a bit of corner softness and slight vignetting at wide angle. It doesn't detract from the pictures unless you are copying documents or something of that sort.

Steve complains about the power button being in the wrong place in relation to the shutter release on the Pentax S series. If you are a camera tester and just use it for a short while intermixed with other cameras with the power switch on the far outside you might turn the camera off a few times. If you own one you won't likely turn in off after the first couple of times you use it. But you will notice that the shutter release is in exactly the right place for holding the camera. Your finger naturally falls on it with a steady hold. Go to a camera store and pick one up not thinking about the shutter release. Hold the camera to your eye and work to get it as steady as possible. Your finger will be on the shutter release and not the power switch unless you have really tiny hands. Then try holding the camera as if the power switch were the shutter release – not nearly as good a hold for that little camera.

I agree with Iceseven that you might want to explore other options. I would make some comments on the T33 he recommended. It has no optical viewfinder and the LCD doesn't gain up in low light making it hard to frame a shot – odd for Sony. The flash is so weak it is useful only for portraits. It is larger and heavier than the S5i. On the plus side it is very fast and has a good movie mode. You also pay more for memory as it takes the proprietary Memory Stick Pro. Other than the low light problem the LCD is large and works well in bright light. IMO you need stabilization for a camera without a viewfinder. Phil at dpreview felt the stabilization on the Panasonic FX7 just about makes up for the unsteady hold without an eye-level finder. I wouldn't personally want a small camera without an optical finder. Some people shoot only with the LCD – it might be OK for that but the FX7 is better except for the movies. The FX7 is slightly less bulky but slightly heavier than the T33.

There are lots of nice cameras out there if you would consider something a little larger. The W5 that Iceseven mentioned is over twice the weight of the S5i with batteries installed and considerably more bulky, but it is a competent camera. There are many in that size range. I think the S5i is about as small as you are going to find and fairly competent for a tiny camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:26 AM   #4

Thanks for that good info you two! Much appreciated, I noted that was no mention of the canon sd200(ixus 30)

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:12 PM   #5

braders100 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for that good info you two! Much appreciated, I noted that was no mention of the canon sd200 (ixus 30)

You got carried away with colors and bold and I missed it.

How about refining your preferences. You want "good quality pictures" With the possible exception of the S100, every camera that has been mentioned or will be mentioned can give good quality pictures.

The devil is in the details. Does it focus well in low light – it can be frustrating when they don't. How is shutter lag and shot to shot time? Is the flash strong enough to get a good group shot? Is movie mode important to you? Do you take pictures with the LCD or eyelevel finder? How important is really tiny size like the SD200 and S5i? Might you make a large print for your wall or print a small crop – how important is the pixel count? How much do you want to spend? Do you already have a digital camera and want to keep the memory compatible? Do you have other devices that take flash memory and what kind is it?

From your choices I surmise you want a pure point and shoot camera without manual controls and want to spend as little as possible. You also seem to want something tiny you can carry easily in your pocket.

The only glitch I see in the SD200 is that there isn't a sports or action mode so you can optimize the camera in bright light to freeze action. That isn't much of a limitation. It seems to have above average purple fringing and the standard tiny zoom camera corner softness and vignetting. It has good low light focus and a good movie mode. The flash is decent for a tiny camera. Shutter lag isn't great but shot-to shot time is excellent. If 3Mp is sufficient for you it might be an excellent choice.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:09 PM   #6

What im looking for then:

good quality pictures

small and compact not bigger than the sd200

movies are important but not essential

i take pictures with the LCD usually

unlikely to print large prints

max spend £170 (use pricerunner.co.uk)

already got a sony dsc p52, to big and bulky, found pictures come out blurry a lot!

want a pure point and shoot camera without manual controls and want to spend as little as possible.

hopefully the sd200 will do the job!!

Many thanks again slipe!!!