Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2005, 9:31 AM   #1

I currently have 4 candidates for sports photography; Canon Power shot Pro1, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K, Sony DSC F828 and Nikon Coolpix 8800.

I am looking for the fastes tracking AF among all four.

Till now, I love the 12X f2.8 of Lumix, Manual focus and zoom rings of Sony, L series lens of Canon and 10X zoom and reliability of a Nikon.

I only heard that coolpix does not track so well, but do not know anything abouts all four compared among them.

Any good experience????
Gonzalo Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:42 AM   #2

I'm happy with the way my FZ10 tracks in continuous focus mode. I imagine the FZ20 would be the same, but I have no way of comparing it to other cameras except my old Minolta D7i. That tracks well in continuous focus as well.

Most cameras have a limit of about 7mph for something coming directly toward or away from you that is fairly close. That works well for everything but cars and maybe a bird flying directly toward you. I haven't read of cameras that do much better than that. I don't know of any testers that regularly include that. It would probably be difficult to test and there aren't that many people who seem particularly interested in continuous focus performance.

You might want to ask on the separate boards for the cameras.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:30 AM   #3

No any other comment? nobody takes sports pics?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:02 AM   #4

I think Slipe gave you some useful information about his FZ10 and good advice about asking on the boards dedicated to the cameras you are asking about.

They will be the best places to ask.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:06 PM   #5

MY first hand experiences with the 8800 are that it is a very nice camera that is very slow in these areas

1) initial shot (includes auto-focus and shutter release)

2) return to ready for next shot

There are many comments and reviews of this camera that you should read if indeed you are serious about it. IF you still are then you really need to actually try this camera at some store to see if it can please you.
xjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 9:19 AM   #6

I finnally bougth a FZ20 trough eBay and I tested her Continuos AF capabilities.

I am very upset with them, it really does not track and any object speed. She is even no able to track my kids running!

I took some shots on a Polo game, but I have to focus and then shot, camera was not able to track, that make a lot of out of focus shots. Only in 5-10% of the time she tracks, the remaing time was not any difference among AF and CAF.

Seems to be, the only solution is to expend more money on a F100 and carry all that pounds of equipment. A think that I am not sure if I like to come back.

This a is shot of that game took at1/250 f2.8 under a quite cloudy day

Attached Images