Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:33 PM   #1

I am seriously considering purchasing the 8700. We had thought that we were going to get the 8800 but when we actually went and tried the camera it was just too bulky for me. The store did not have a 8700 for us to try so now I'm kind of in a bit of a dilemma.
While we were in the store I looked at a fujifilm S5100 and while it's a nice camera, it's only 4MP--not exactly what we were looking for. I did however LOVE the size and feel of it.
Now here's my dilemma, since I could not try out the 8700 I'm wondering if somebody who owns one (and who preferably knows what a fujifilm S5100 feels like) could tell me how it feels in your hand. Is it big and bulky or not too bad? Could I put it in my pocket or would it be too big for that?
Any help would be appreciated, the only thing stopping me from ordering is the fear that it will feel too much like the 8800 and I won't like it.

brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:49 PM   #2

Actually, since I'm not set in stone on the 8700 maybe another question should be what digital camera is there that is very close in size to the fujifilm S5100 but has more megapixels, higher quality? I'm open to suggestions on other camera's that compare in size if there are any.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 1:19 AM   #3

The following are the dimensions I could track down for the CP8700: 113 x 105 x 78 mm

compared to the CP8800: 116 x 85 x 121 mm

compared to the S5100: 113 x 81 x 79 mm

It seems closer to the CP8800 than the S5100.
That said, I'm a little confused as few would consider the S5100 a pocketable camera, either.

Do you mean the pocket in your winter coat, pants, or shirt?

If it's the winter coat, then unless your pockets are unusually small, it should fit. If it's the latter two, it probably won't, unless you wear pants a couple sizes too large. However, I don't think the S5100 would fit in there, either.

Considering that camera grip is very important to you, I'd try to track it down somewhere so you can feel for yourself. The answers you are looking for are subjective, and I wouldn't take other people's word for it. I personally prefer larger cameras, so if it feels good in my hands, it might not in yours.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:22 AM   #4

I meant a jacket pocket. Coming from Canada it seems you're almost always wearing a spring, fall or winter jacket. It would be a bit bulky but you could fit the S5100 in your pocket.

It seems now that we're actually "looking" at the camera's instead of just reading about them on the internet I'm finding thatthe cameraswe wanted (all SLR type) are just too big to carry around on trips with 3 small kids. When I saw the S5100 it just seemed more of the size we wanted. (well actually the size ! wanted since my husband Loves the feel of the 8800)

From the dimensions you posted and the pictures I've seen online I think the the 8700 is the same width and depth as the S5100 but is longer in depth--(from the back of the camera to the front of the lense) I'm hoping that that makes it small enough for me to really like!

I live in a very small city and there are very few places where we can actually go and look at whichever model we chose which makes it really hard to decide. I just thought that somebody May have seen both and could compare them for me. Not the best solution, but like I said we have very limited stores where we can actually look and pick up a camera.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 6:32 PM   #5

See, your post kind of touches on the problem of asking other people about the grip of a camera--your husband prefers the CP8800, but you prefer the S5100.

If you took a poll of people that have held both, some would prefer the S5100 and others the CP8700.

I've held both in a store, and I definitely prefer the grip (and build) of the S5100 to the CP8700 (even though I normally prefer larger cameras), but your experience might be completely different.

On a side note, have you considered any ultrazooms with image stabilization? It can come in quite handy (the CP8800 has it, but not the others you mention).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:42 AM   #6

Yes, I completely see your point about it being a personal choice. I really wish we lived in a place where I could actually go and test out all the camera's but unfortunately we're in the middle of nowhere!

Originally our short list consisted of camera's like the 8800, the olympus 8080, the Sony F828..... I'm so glad that we didn't go ahead and just order one of them online because after holding the 8800 I just know that all of these would be bigger than I would like.

The 8700 appeared (from the specs) to be one of the smallest slr types, now that I've looked a bit more I see that the Dimage A200 is pretty darn close to the 8700 in size (4.4 X 4.1 X 3.1 inches) I'm going to look around and see if anyplace here has that model in stock so I can try it out--it comes with IS so that's a plus too.

I guess what I was really hoping to find was a camera that was as small as the S5100 but still had the SLR type body with more megapixels.