Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which would you buy?
Canon A510 239€ 4 80.00%
Nikon 4600 + 256mb SD 219€ 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 2, 2005, 4:55 AM   #1

Hi everybody.

I'm new to this forum and I'm going to buy my first camera.
I should choose among these models:

- OLYMPUS Mju 300 Digital (3.2Mp - zoom 3x) 199€
- PENTAX Optio S30 (3Mp - zoom 3x) 199€
- NIKON Coolpix 4600 (4Mp - zoom3x) + 256mb SD 219€
- FUJIFILM FinePix E500 (4Mp - zoom 3x) 239€
- CANON PowerShot A510 (3.2Mp - zoom 4x) 239€
- OLYMPUS C-740 Ultra Zoom (3.3Mp - zoom 10x) 249€

Finally, I limited my range of choice to Nikon and Canon.

For Canon, I read good reviews (except for the red-eye issue).
For Nikon, reviews are not as good, mostly for problems of focus in low-light conditions. The good is that I would pay it 20€ less, and with a 256mb SD included.

Has anyone tried these two digicams?

What would you suggest?

Thank you :bye:
younggotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:59 PM   #2

My reasons for choosing the canon A510 was based primarily on the very positive reviews both by the user forums as well as the pro reports.
In my limited experience with it {2 weeks} I have been more than impressed with the feature/benefit ratio to price. Outstanding quality of shots including a few 8x10's. I also have not had the reported problems with red eye nor low light focusing as apparently noted.
The camera just feels good and just weighty enough to minimize small camera propensity for shaking.
My recommendations are an enthusiastic 5 star rating.
KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3

Hi,

I too am considering the A510 after a year-long search to replace a stolen Pentax digital.

I did read, though, that the A510 and A520 have slow shot to shot cycle times. Was that a noticeable default for you?

janet813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 3:03 PM   #4

Hi Janet,
Waiting a year without a camera is a longggggggggg time!
To futher clarify my experience let me again by saying that I am extremely pleased with the feature/benefit/performance ratio to price that this camera provides.
I have only recently begun the process of digital as compared to film. I bought this camera for two primary reasons: Ease of use and image quality. My wife is the primary user who is not wanting to tweak settings other than possibly switching to a scene mode. I wanted to do as little post processing as I could and still have a very good image to share in an album.
My summary of all of these aspects have been excellent to wow!
Your question pertains to shot to shot times and I will address that in this way. For our shooting needs,which is casual, fun and impromptu, it works extremely well. In outdoors (no flash) very sufficient. Indoors with flash,about 7-9 seconds. Which again is fine for us. Remember it has a good flash and only 2 batteries to recharge the cycle.
In conclusion if you know your needs, read the pro reviews and the large number of user opinions you will have a good working knowledge of what to anticipate for yourself. For less than $199. it is an exceptional (Entry, Beginners, Take-Anywhere, Small) and Fun to use photo tool. When you add the 4x zoom and grow into the fully manual controls then its hard not to offset any tiny niggles which makes it less than the "Perfect 10".
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:40 PM   #5

I agree with KingsX

The A510 is an excellent camera for the price. Great pics and a huge amount of controls to use if you want.

I am very happy with the A510...and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Oh....the flash recharge times are not the fastest,and if you look at the new nikons that run on 2AAs, you willexperiencesimiliar flash recharge times. Although, I found that if you turn off the LCD when using the flash on the Canon A510, the flash recharge time is noticeably quicker.

All in all, the A510 is a great camera.

Mike682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:43 PM   #6

Thanks, KingsX and Mike682, for your input! Yes, a year is a very long time indeed! I've been using a 35mm camera in the meantime, but getting tired of trying to find space for the growing piles of photos, not to mention having to scan the ones I want to share.

Prior to finding out about the release of the A510/520, I was close to buying either the Nikon CP 4200 or 5200 or maybe a Canon A85. My sis has the A75, and has shot some terrific photos, though I was a bit turned off by the heft of those cameras and the limited movie modes (which I realize the A510 hasn't improved on).

I was also wondering what led you guys to choose the 3MP 510 over the 4MB 520? I read a pro-review of the cameras and they did say that even though the 510 has fewer MPs, it also had less noise at higher ISOs. But it does seem like the 4MB are becoming the next "standard" now.
janet813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 1:24 PM   #7

I just got an A510 last week. I have to say, I am very pleased with it. I'm having a blast taking pictures with it. It's extremely easy to use but allows all of the control that you may want/need to make creative photgraphs (I'm not there yet)

EWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 1:43 PM   #8

janet813 wrote:
Quote:
I was also wondering what led you guys to choose the 3MP 510 over the 4MB 520? I read a pro-review of the cameras and they did say that even though the 510 has fewer MPs, it also had less noise at higher ISOs. But it does seem like the 4MB are becoming the next "standard" now.
The choice of the 510 over the 520 was the $100 price difference. To me .8 megapixels on the 520just wasn't worth an extra 100 bucks. Plus I really don't print any bigger than 5x7 with an occasional 8x10; The difference in megapixels between the two cams willbe very difficult to seeat 5x7 anyway.

Both are fine cameras except for the fact that the 520 is slightly over-priced.

Mike682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:42 PM   #9

If you are considering pixels, check out the kodak cx7630. 6mp 3x zoom and an excellent lens. It's available at J&R for $279, the same price as the a520. Has some nice write ups also.