Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:30 PM   #1

Whatare the smallest, most compact digital slr's on the market with above 6MP?
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:47 PM   #2
Administrator

Above6 Megapixels, huh? These both have 8:

Canon Digital Rebel XT (EOS-350D), OlympusE-300 EVOLT.

If you can live with 6 instead of 8, also take a look at the Pentax *ist DS.

AFAIK, these 3 cameras are the 3 smallest DSLR models now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:32 PM   #3

Smallest = Pentax *ist DS
Lightest = Canon 350D (Rebel XT)

Both are very comprable in size to each other though. The Canon wins in the weight dept because it doesn't use AA size battery like the Pentax.
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 6:21 PM   #4
KSV

dorseto wrote:
Quote:
Canon wins in the weight dept because it doesn't use AA size battery like the Pentax.
No, because there is no metal inside - just plastic :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:08 PM   #5

I guess I'm a bit confused. When I look up the camera's that I've been looking at (the Nikon 8800, Nikon 8700, the Dimage A200, even the Fuji S5100) The "camera format" is listed as "SLR" I guess I'm maybe calling them by their wrong name. I don't need a DSLR camera, just a high quality prosumer one I guess. Is that the right name--prosumer?

All I'd really like is medium size (the closer to the S5100 in size the better), with high mp, lots of zoom, the ability to basically point and shoot (for me), and the ability manual focus (for my husband). I'd also like it to look more like the SLR type of camera as opposed to the small, flat cybershot for example.

Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:46 PM   #6
KSV

brendak2000 wrote:
Quote:
The "camera format" is listed as "SLR"
They referring as "SLR-like". It means that they only look like traditional SLR - nothing more then that :-)There is no strict criteria what is consumer and what is prosumer. Generally consumer means basic P&S camera and prosumer more advanced withability of some manual controls. It look to me that you need "prosumer" camera. :-)

Have a look at Panasonic FZ20 also. And do not be tempered with megapixels - more megapixels not necessarily means better picture, quite on the contrary, particularly on hyperzoom cameras.

Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:52 AM   #7

Quote:
And do not be tempered with megapixels - more megapixels not necessarily means better picture, quite on the contrary, particularly on hyperzoom cameras.
See this just makes me confused. :? Wouldn't I be better off with a camera that had lots of zoom, lot's of options, AND more mp's?

When we looke at the S5100 I Really liked it but we decided against buying it because we thought we'd be compromising on the mp's. We already have a Kodak DX3500 which is OK so we thought we'd make our next camera something that could grow with us. We figure we'll have it for at least a few years so we thought we'd make sure to get a good one. We didn't want to be kicking ourselves in a few years for not paying the extra bucks to get more mp's.

So what you're saying is that sometimes lower mp's (like 5) can actually be Better than a higher mp camera?

I'm so confused! We've been looking and looking at specs on camera's online for so long now and sometimes it just makes me want to throw my hands in the air :? There's so many to choose from and all seem to have some pluses and minuses! :-)
Old Apr 5, 2005, 3:33 AM   #8
KSV

brendak2000 wrote:
Quote:
So what you're saying is that sometimes lower mp's (like 5) can actually be Better than a higher mp camera?
Very much like that. You need MP only for enlargement. 4 mp for example is enough for A4 printout. Do you plan to print bigger photos? I do not think so. So in reality 5 is plenty even considering some small cropping (witchshould belimited is you using your zoom properly). Why MP is bad? Because each pixel became smaller and as result you have bad and noisy performance in low light condition. Especially noticeable in ultrazoom cameras with tiny sensor. This is why 6 mp DSLR give heaps betterquality then 8 mp prosumers. BTW this has been discussed many times in this forum - try to search it and I am sure you find heaps to read.

Cheers
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:25 AM   #9

Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it and while I'm still not entirely sure which camera we'll end up picking, you really opened my eyes and made me retink what we really want.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:05 PM   #10
Administrator

KSV wrote:
Quote:
dorseto wrote:
Quote:
Canon wins in the weight dept because it doesn't use AA size battery like the Pentax.
No, because there is no metal inside - just plastic :-)

Wrong! The Rebel XT has a stainless steel inner chassis frame with a polycarbonate outer shell.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote