Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 2, 2005, 2:02 PM   #1

I have narrowed my search for a new camera to 2 choices:Sony DSC-S40 or Canon A510, both cost $199.

This will be my first digital camera, and I'm having a hard time deciding whether basically I need the Canon with the3MP - 4x optical zoom (3x dig.)or the Sony with the4 MP - 3X optical zoom(2x dig.)? The reviews on the A510 are great, but the Sony is so new, I have found no reviews. I will be takingeveryday pictures, potraits, pics of my geckos....but I also love the outdoors, so I would be taking lots of pictures outside as well.

The specs of the Sony DSC-S40 w/ Carl Zeiss lens: 4.1 MP (2304 x 1728 Pixels), 3X optical zoom lens,2x digital,1.5" LCD monitor, and32 MB flash memory built-in.

The specs of the Canon A510 - 3.2 MP (2048x1536), 4x optical zoom, 3x digital, 1.8" LCD monitor and 16 MB SD card.

From your experience, and my camera needs - which one would you recoomend and why?? Thanks for your help - your advice on here is awesome!!!

ole800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 7:29 PM   #2

:blah: Well, since I got no assistance, I went with my gut instinct after a couple weeks of researching. I havent came a across 1 review of this camera, so I will have to be the first, but I am happy with my pick!

I went with the Sony DSC-S40. I must say - what a sweet camera. The images are fantastic with the Carl Zeiss lens -- I thought I may have a problem when using the full 3X optical zoom when zooming in further when needed. It far exceeded my expectations, and I am happy as a pig in mud with this guy!

ole800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:46 AM   #3

HI

I'm in same dilemma as you were. Could you please send me some photos of your new camera.
My e-mail [email protected].

Thank you
mbbane is offline   Reply With Quote