Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 2, 2005, 4:02 PM   #1

My husband was awarded "points" in a contest, and we want to choose a digital camera as an award. For the number of points he has, we have narrowed it down tothe Fuji FinePix E550, the Sony DSC-W5, or the CanonSD200. We have both used digital cameras for work,but this would be our first camera for personal use. Iam leaning toward the Fuji, but the RAW format scares me a little. I have worked some with editing pictures, but not with that format. I don't want to get a camera that is too complicated. Whatdo you suggest?
susandter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:10 PM   #2

You don't have to shoot in RAW, if you don't want to. You can put the camera into auto and shoot at 6 MP (or 12 Fine or 12 Normal or 3, etc.) in JPEG. If you do shoot RAW, you might want to get some other software besides Fuji's to process your pictures. Just to open them and then save into JPEG for further processing, you can get the free Picasa software from Google: http://www.picasa.com/

I had the S7000, which is much bigger than the E550, and liked it. The E550 has lower ISO options than the S7000, which gives it the potential for less noise in its pictures. Look at Steve's reviews of these 2 cameras to confirm/refute this.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! It's a little overwhelming trying to decide which camera to buy.
susandter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4

Don't look at your choices as a dilemma; they're an opportunity. You might enjoy any of those cameras. You will learn how to use them, find out their strengths and weaknesses, and take a lot of great pictures. Eventually, you will be ready for another camera and you will be giving advice to some newcomer.

Just don't expect perfection. I would love to have the E550, but already know that it's not really a 12 megapixel camera (6 is enough for me), that it doesn't always do well in low light, and that it has a limit of 3 seconds on shutter speed. However, it's fast, reasonably light, has a 4X optical zoom, takes very good video, and does a great job overallconsidering its price.

Whatever you get, have fun! If you have questions, this forum is a great place to find answers.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:58 AM   #5

I have the E550 for little over a 2 months. this my second fuji camera. You have to ask yourself what am I taking pictures of.(children, pets, Vacations) I like the E550 because it lets me do all that in auto or manual mode.
It also takes a good video.
It's ISO is 80 to 800 .At 800 you can not shoot above 3 MP.
I hope this helps.
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:18 PM   #6

@ kev61

how's the quality of the flash assembly? some say it has a tendency to be broken easily ( cheap plastic)
alexzkhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:02 AM   #7

I have had no problems with the pop up flash on the E550, so far.

It is made out of plastic and I treat it as such. I only press it in the middle of the unit to close it.

Kevin
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote