Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:09 PM   #1

I want a camera that's small, easy to take half decent pictures with, and has good video capabilities.

My friend has a Sony Cyber-shot T1, and it really impressed me. His pictures came out well for just pointing and shooting, and I was especially impressed with the video. I love that you can put stuff like that on the computer and edit it.

I've been looking around, and it seems like they yanked the T1 and replaced it with the T33 and the T7. The T7 sure looks snazzy, but is it what I'm looking for?

Size, ease of use, and video capabilities are the big selling points for me. If you've got any good suggestions, please send them my way. I'd also love to hear your opinions on the T series cyber-shots, and whether they're worth the money.

Thanks!
garrett_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:38 PM   #2

Anybody?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 6:42 PM   #3

Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:31 PM   #4

Personally, there are several reasons why I wouldn't buy the T1 or the T33 (I haven't seen much about the T7--is it out yet?):

-the incredibly weak flash

-no optical viewfinder--LCD can be hard to see in sunlight or low-light, plus if you're running low on batteries, you can't turn off the LCD keep on shooting as you can't see what's in the picture

-slow lens (starts at 3.5)--combined with the weak flash, it makes for bad low-light/indoors pictures

I'd take a look at the Sony P-series instead (100, 150, 200--I believe some are on clearance right now) or the Canon SD200 or SD300 (SD400 or SD500 if you want to spend more and don't mind the slightly larger body). The only drawback for the latter is that I've read a few reports on the LCD screen cracking, so I'd be apprehensive about that. All of them are rather small (some smaller than others),

I'd take your friend's T1 for a test run, especially indoors (unless you're only planning on taking pictures outdoors) to test the flash range, and outdoors in sunlight to see how visible the LCD is for you. If you can live with it, go ahead, it's a nice looking camera. If you find the quality somewhat lacking, take a look at some of the above.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:05 PM   #5

Thanks a ton, I'll check those out.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:03 PM   #6

Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:57 PM   #7

Hi Garrett: You need to take a close look at the Olympus C770. Excellent video w/ sound; a great all glass lens with 10XOPTICAL zoom. It's videois tops, outperforming most other digital still camersa offerings. Small, light, but rugged with a metal body. And excellent digital still photos (Built in flash + a hot shoe for adding a large flash if needed.) I've used both Sony and Olympus and definetely give the performance edge to Olympus. Everything is personal perference for your uses, but at least investigate and compare the C770 for your video needs.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:18 AM   #8
pmr

I would recomend the Canon SD400. It is smaller than the T1 in Length and Width (same in depth). It has a much stronger flash range. It uses SD media which is cheaper than MS Pro Duo. I also has an optical viewfinder with a 2" LCD. I bought mine at Wal-Mart for $388. I would highly recomend this camera!
pmr is offline   Reply With Quote