Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:04 AM   #1

Hello all - sorry to bother you with same old question but I have read through so many reviews that I have become even more confused.

I have just started a basic photography course and have bought a Nikon F80 film camera which i love and has everything I need .

However I want something smaller I can take around with me all the time & enjoy the benefits of digital at the same time. I would like to have the facility to manually change the exposure (but not just 2 stops of aperture as some digital cameras only seem to allow you to change) but want full control so that I can adjust depth of field and exposure etc.

I also love my close up filter on my film SLR and would love to have this capability as well (but this is not a must).

I don't need a high number of megapixels as can't imagine that I will blow pics up much bigger than 8X 10. I guess I am looing for a inconspicuous camera (i.e. doesn't have to be palm sized but don't want it to be too big as I have already noticed when I pull my film camera out that people don't relax because of the size of the camera). Soemthing that I can easily control and produces nice quality pics and doesn't have to be the latest model - quite happy to buy from ebay.

Thanks in advance
jod_1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:38 AM   #2

The Canon A75/85/95 would be a good place to start. They have proper aperture/shutter priority modes, as well as full auto and full manual. You can also add close-up filters, although they focus fairly closely already.

The 75 and 85 were just replaced by the new 510 and 520. They too would be a good choice, as they are smaller versions of their predecessors, and have a few new features. Some places have the older versions on sale, now that the new versions have arrived.

PhilR.

p.s. -- don't expect a lot of depth of field from a digital camera.....
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:01 PM   #3

Fuji e510 0r e550 also have what you are looking for.
macro on the e510 1 inch and the e550 3 inch from subject.
ISO 0n the e550 80 to 800. MP might be a little higher then you want, but both cameras offer alot for so less on the wallet. The only other thing to do is go try them out at some photo stores.
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 3:18 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you - quite like the look of the canon A95 but haven't looked at any other models yet - will have a look at the fuji's too - but know that you are right and need to feel them in my hand to see what I like best.

Does the A95 and the fuji models have a black and white option that you can preview on the LCD? - I like the sound of viewing everything in black and white before taking the shot as I think this may help me develop.

Thanks again!

Jo
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:53 PM   #5

The E550 has Black&White view on the LCD.

I do not Know about the E510.

KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:58 AM   #6

And the Olympus C-7xx series is another one to look at. Full manual controls 10x zoom and excellent image quality (4 MP). If you are on a budget, you might find one of the C-750/755 models now in the $200+ dollar range.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:24 AM   #7

jod_1234 wrote:
Quote:
... want full control so that I can adjust depth of field and exposure etc. ...
Keep in mind that the depth of field is controlled by the physical focal length of the lens, not the 35mm equiv. There is typically a factor of about five between the physical and equiv focal length, e.g., a 50mm equiv is something like 10mm physical.

So if you are looking for a shallow depth of field, you won't get anything close to a 35mm camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 3:42 AM   #8

Apologies but a bit new to digital cameras -but does that mean that I can geta "shallower" depth of field if I go for a camera with a higher optical zoom i.e. go for one with 10X instead of 3X?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:57 AM   #9

jod_1234 wrote:
Quote:
Apologies but a bit new to digital cameras - but does that mean that I can get a "shallower" depth of field if I go for a camera with a higher optical zoom i.e. go for one with 10X instead of 3X?
Since the X zoom factor is meaningless (or has meaning only in the sense that it sells cameras to the BIGGER IS BETTER crowd), it is hard to tell.

The longest physical focal length with the largest aperature (smallest f/number) will produce the shallowest depth of field. The longest lens on a digicam is about 400mm equiv - well less than 100mm physical. Those digicams are not small and do not have large aperatures.

Your best course is to forget about shallow depth of field if you want a small digicam.

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote