Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:09 AM   #1

Is there a camera out there that has a better resolution or image uality than the Panasonic Fz20 ? I dosnt have to have large zoom. Im looking for image quality.

thank you for any help.

Take care !

xalex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:37 AM   #2

Oly 8080 offers best resolution amongst prosumers. Discontinued after 1 year of production because the market for such high-end prosumers is disappearing as prices for entry-level dSLR's continue to drop. 8Mp. Only 140 tele but generous 28 at wide. Very fast (f/2.4), very sharp wide-diameter lens - virtually no chromatic abberation, very low distortion, very sharp from corner-to-corner. Can be had for as low as $550 on ebay and some resellers. Doubt you'll see another prosumer w/ a lens of this caliber any time soon, if ever.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 2:02 PM   #3

Image quality is probably as good as you need with any good quality camera in good shooting conditions. What you want is a camera that will give you that quality in the most situations.

The stabilization on the FZ20 lets you get sharp images in more limited lighting conditions without a flash or tripod, and that goes for the wider angles just as much as with telephoto shots. Maintaining f2.8 when zoomed also improves your versatility.

My only quibble with the FZ20 is that the viewfinder doesn't brighten in low light and it can be hard to frame a flash shot in very low light. The camera focuses fine, it is just hard to see what you are shooting. I like the very strong flash.

Have you looked at Steve's sample photos for the FZ20? Is the quality sufficient? Don't look at the color rendition too much. You can modify that in the menu for more or less vibrant color if you want it. I find it hard to tell the difference in photo quality between most 5Mp cameras taken in good light. The FZ20 has a decent lens with very little purple fringing.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 2:06 PM   #4

Hey, Thanks for the replys guys, Im going to take a look at those cameras in steves sample images.

Be back in a while.

I apreciate the advice !
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:15 AM   #5

I took a look at the camers, And both have good image qualitys, But what about of cameras with not a so big zoom lens wich woulod be easier to carry around. What do you guys recomend ? Somthing smaller. Will it mach the image quality of both these to cameras ?

Thanks for any help !

:G
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:01 PM   #6

No, they won't.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:00 PM   #7

Actualy I was compering some images, and the Canon s70 has pretty good image quality. But im going to miss the manual focus of the fz20,

How hard can it be to buy a camera ! Lol