Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:31 PM   #1

I am totally new the digital camera market and am hoping somebody can help me out here. I just bought a konica minolta g400 for $240 + tax(=$270 cad) and after taking some pics in low light found the quality to be very poor. Since then i have read a lot of posts explaining how the flash is fairly weak on this model but overall its a great camera. This is where i get confused, i only have a few days before the camera becomes unreturnable so i just wanted to know what should i do? Keep it or get a different camera (close to the same price of ~250). I love the fact its very small, has a fast startup but most of my pics will be at dinners and indoor functions with low light conditions. I don't mind playing with the camera settings as long as i can get decent pics. I don't really want to get rid of either as i have already purchased a 512mb SD card and do like the other things about it, but at the same time i can get a canon s500 from US for ~$320 (cad). Very confused with little time to decide, any help would be appreciated.
Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 5:13 PM   #2

I find that when people complain that their camera does not do well in low light, that almost every timethey either did not use the flash when they should have, or they are operating outside the effective range of their flash. The G400 is perfectly capable of taking great indoor shots, but just as with any other camera, you have to either use long shutter speeds, or shoot within the flash range. I have a feeling that since the flash range of the G400 is so short, that you are probably taking pics beyond what the flash is capable of lighting.

Please consider taking a picture of something indoors, in low light, from 5-6 feet away (measure it - don't guess), and post it here. That way we can see if your flash is working correctly, or if there is something wrong.....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:11 PM   #3

That is most likely my problem as i was taking pictures of objects that were ~12 feet away. Now that brings up the question that havinga short flash range of ~7 feet in comparison to other camera's that have 12 feet, is this a big drawback for this camera?? or is there anything that can be changed in the g400's settings that will allow me to take pics of objects further than 7 feet???
Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:32 PM   #4

You can take pics of anything further than 7 feet away, as long as you don't expect the flash to illuminate past that. If you are in low light, you can always put your camera on a tripod of other stable object and shoot without a flash.

Is a 7' flash range a drawback? Not necessarily. All flashes have a max range. It is only a drawback if you shoot further than whatever the range your flash happens to be. Best thing to to is to get a flash that willreach the distances that you want to shoot (or shoot natural light, if possible).

If you find yourself needing more flash range, then you have two options. Buy a different camera, paying attention to the published specs, or buy an auxilliary flash.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote