Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:41 PM   #1

Hi, my sister has asked for some advice on a digital camera for her. Basically she wants something that is simple, reliable and inexpensive. She is not technically minded and features will only complicate matters for her. She wants a point and shoot with a capital P & S.

In a local supermarket, they are selling the Kodak CX7310 at $A145. I can find enough information to know what features it has or lacks but I wonder if any forum members have any practical experience with this camera. Your feedback would be appreciated. Does it take a passable photo?

Cheers

John
js63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:03 PM   #2

I am sure the picture condition is decent in good lighting conditions. Checkout samples of the CX7300 here: http://steves-digicams.com/2004_revi...0_samples.html. The big drawback, however, is that this camera has no optical zoom at all. Even for a complete novice who wants a P&S camera (with a capital P&S as you say),an optical zoom is an important and easy to use feature. The digital zoom, on the other hand,iscomletely useless since it only crops the image, but at more quality loss than if one cropped it in an image processing program, such as Photoshop. The optical zoom zooms in optically through the lens, thus no quality loss when taking objects that are further away.

If the lack of optical zoom is not an issue, this is a decent camera for the price. However, I'd check out discontinued models and see if you can't find some that have at least a 3x optical zoom. For example, I bet you can find the Kodak DX3900 for under $100 these days. I have my eyes on the Minolta G400 or G500 as a second camera, and they sell for $150 for ebay. Granted that's US $$$ though.

Hope that helps.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:14 PM   #3

I would echo rduve's comments. I bought a similar camera for a friend. The picture quality was ok, but the lack of an optical zoom hurt it, in my opinion. I don't know the exchange rate for Aussie $ to US $, but I think you could spend not much more and get another easy to use Kodak digicam with a 3X optical zoom. The optical zooms are easy to use even for beginners like your sister and they will come in handy in the future. How much does the Kodak 6330 cost down under?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:54 PM   #4

Hi, thanks for both of your comments. I agree about the optical zoom. I would never buy this camera FOR ME. But my sister insists that her current film camera has absolutely no zoom and she is happy with that. Perhaps she would get used to one if she had it but she won't miss what she's never had.

I checked the Kodak 6330 on ebay Australia and the only listings were links to US listings. Perhaps this model is not available here. Still the US prices are cheap enough that importing one could be an option. I shall definitely talk to her about this.

rduve, I guess you are saying that the CX7000 is basically the same camera as the 7310??? If so, the sample pics are as good as my sister wants to take.

She hasn't make a decision yet but I guess there are several options she can look at. Thanks again for your input.

js63 is offline   Reply With Quote