Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:32 AM   #1

I am going to be buying D-SLR soon but need to know which camera will take the best pictures without requiring post-processing work. I can handle some post-processing but would prefer to do as little as possible and still get great pictures. I was leaning towards the D70 since it has a rather fast AF. The Rebel XT feels a bit too small in my hands. Not sure what else would be good for this that doesn't have a slow AF. I tried the Pentax *ist DS but it seemed a little slow, AF.

Thanks.

Rob
neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:00 AM   #2

If fast AF is an important feature (its one of the reason I got a DSLR) then its between the Canon 20D and the Nikon D70. I don't know if the 20D is faster than the D70, but both are fast (fast being a subjective term. What seems "fast" to me might not be to you.)

The problem with not wanting much post processing is this. Part of the thinking of a DLSR designer is that they don't know what situations the photographer is going to use their camera. They aren't just for party shots. They will be used for many things and by people who care more about the quality of the shots (or why would they spend so much money on a camera?) If the camera does a lot of processing (makes the picture very sharp, gives it a lot of contrast, ...) then we'll make some people happy and some people will be unhappy.

The safest thing to do (by default) is to not do a lot of processing, and let the user do as much as they want afterwards. So, by default, there is little sharpening, contrast, or saturation changes to the picture.

BUT (and that is a big BUT) these settings can be changed in the camera. You can increase the amount of in-camera contrast and sharpening (and a few other things) that get added. Since you want to do very little post-processing work, you're going to have to increase the in-camera processing until you get something that you are happy with. Will those settings work for every picture you take? No. But that is the tradeoff you're making 'cause you don't want to do a lot on your own. (BTW, I don't blame you... I'd rather be out taking more picture than sitting in front of a computer editing.)

Both the 20D and the D70 can a fair amount of control over the in-camera processing. So I bet either would fit the bill.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks Eric. The 20D is a little out of my reach financially so the D70 is probably my best bet. I also looked closely at the Olympus E-300 and liked it. It'sAFseems a little slower than the D70 but it felt good in my hand. I have not read as many good things about the picture quality as I have on the D70.

Thanks again.

Rob

Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4

Will the lens off of my Nikon N55 film camera work okay on the body of the D70? That may allow me to purchase the D70 sooner and then save for a new lens.

Rob
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:54 AM   #5

Absolutely. While there are DX type lenses that only work with digital (they project a smaller image circle that only covers the smaller digital sensor, and not a full 35mm frame), nearly every lens that was designed for film will work just fine with digital. The only possible exception is wide angle lenses, due to the fact that the digital sensor and anti-aliasing filter is sensitive to the angle at which the light rays hit it (possible vignetting at the corners). For this reason, many of the DX type wide angle lenses have been redesigned with a telecentric design that makes the light hit the sensor with an angle as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Anything from about 24mm upwards should be OK though.
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote