Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:30 AM   #1

Hello - I'm making the switch from a Canon 4.0MP Elph to something a little more pro. The camera that has my interest is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 and the recent DMC-FZ5. Both have 12x optic and 5.0MP. I can get the DMC-FZ5 for much less than the FZ20...

Is there a significant difference between the two?

Thanks!
clocwrkrng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:14 PM   #2

Yes there is.. The FZ5 lacks the hot shoe for external flash. Doesn't have manual focus. Slightly slower lens at the 12x end of the zoom. The physical size is somewhat smaller as well.. None of these are to knock the FZ5 but if you think those things may be important to you, FZ20 (given your choice of the 2).. They aren't the same camera, one is not an update of the other.. I suggest you have a browse through the panasonic forum here and do your own compares..

Good luck
Jeff
:|
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 3:27 PM   #3

Thank you,

I think what I need to do is get both models in my hands and see which one is more comfortable. The lack of external flash and manual focus doesn't bother me so much.

One this that does concern me is the different lens the Fz5 has from the Fz20 (which makes sense, considering they're from different product lines). I wouldn't mind spending more and having a bigger camera if the Fz20 lens was significantly better than the Fz5. Any suggestions on this?
clocwrkrng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:00 AM   #4

I really can't give you a valid compare as I only have and have held the FZ20. I would suggest however, visiting the panasonic forum here at Steve's and asking the question there. People are just now within the last couple weeks beginning to get the FZ5 into thier hands. Somewhere here, the moderators announced they've recieved the FZ4 and FZ5 for review.

From what actual users have shown, there isn't a Lot of difference in the lenses beyond the construction.. To most humanoids (us) any difference is going to be neglegable. The lenses Are constructed differently, 11 elements on the FZ5 vs 13 elements on the FZ20 which I believe, accounts for the slight speed difference at the 12x end. However, it isn't even a full stop so how it affects you will depend solely on your use. 1 full stop, f4-f5.6 for example, reduces light reaching the sensor by a factor or 2. In other words, the light reaching the sensor (with a fixed shutter speed) at f4 is twice that of f5.6.

Both cameras use the same size sensor and many of the features of the FZ20 were incorporated on the the FZ5 (upgraded FZ3).. Both cameras will have a learning curve and will take some getting use to.. At least that's what I found with the FZ20 and would figure on with the FZ5.

If you are interested, these photos were taken with the FZ20 unless otherwise noted. Be sure to browse the entire album.. Most are straight from the camera except for a resize or crop. On some (kiddies), an external flash was used.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/jjmel/

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote