Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:20 PM   #1

Hi,Hola, Ca va, Oi !!

I am diver and I want to buy a digital camera plus housing(waterproof up to 135 feet ).

Which mark and model do you recommend me ?

Thanks a lot for your piece of advice !

Aquamaster
aquamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 6:04 AM   #2

You need to give more information on what you require before anyone can start to make a recommendation.

Most Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus compact digicams can be housed as well as many others. Take a look at the list here http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/d_stills/index.html

Most underwater photography is taken using wideangle or macro what is it you want to do?

Is it just snapshots you want? Have you thought about the resolution you want? Will you use the camera above water what are your requirements for that?

For the best results you may want to consider a DSLR but then you are talking serious money for the camera and lenses plus at least $1000 for the housing and then more for an external strobe.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply! Nagasaki !

Well , I want at least 5 Mp of resolution. I am going to use snapshts and

beneath. (I prefer big animals but sometimes some small fishes and nudibranks, etc...

I will quit the DSLR option , it is too expensive right now.

Thanks a lot again for your help !

aquamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:55 PM   #4

I'd say most modern digital cameras are capable of taking good photos and that applies to underwater photos. Most have a macro facility which is good for the small stuff. Other than that I would look for something that gives has a wide zoom or consider a housing that allows you to fit a supplementary wide angle adapter for the big stuff.

My own feeling is to go for a recognised camera manufacturer rather than an electronics manufacturer so Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax...

What cameras have you owned and liked before, consider that manufacturers cameras. Pick the camera with the features you like and think you'll use, then check if a suitable housing is available for it.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote