Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:58 PM   #1

Starting my own business... I will be shooting interiors and exteriors of homes, then using the images on websites. No real need for print use, I guess that would mean..I probably don't need a 8megapix DSLR. Might print out some pics for flyer or brochure use. Mostly internet posted pics.... lots of them.

Plus, I don't want to have to worry about extra equip for lighting issues. I'm looking at the Nikon 8800 or Nikon D70, but not sure if that's too complicated of a camera for the simple, commercial style shots for advertising on the net that I'm doing?

Wanted to stay in the $500-800 range.

Need at least 6 megapix.

Will need wide angle lens or add on lens with same capability.

Have a Nikon Cool Pix4500 with 4 megapix.... like it a lot. Figured another Nikon would beonly natural. Help....Advice or comments?:?
keyimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:53 AM   #2

Why do you need 6Mp? from your description of your usage you don't even need the 4Mp that you've got. For web use you only need a resolution of about 800x600 pixels which is less than 1Mp for the flyer use the 4Mp you have should be enough. The increase from 4 - 6 Mp isn't very much at all there's a good explanation here http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

I own a D70 and it's a great camera. You have full control over the exposure if you want it or full automation if you want that. Shooting RAW gives a lot of control over the final result if you want to spend the time on it. The fact that it has interchanglable lens means that it is adaptable to any type of photography you want to undertake. It is generally agreed that it takes better quality pictures than the 8Mp 8800 this is because the sensor is larger so each of the photosites is larger. This gives it better light collecting capability and less noise.

On the downside any DSLR is prone to getting dust on the sensor when changing lenses simply because it is not a sealed unit.

Why did I choose the D70?

1) I already owned several Nikon lenses.

2) Better image quality.

3) Very fast response.

4) I shoot mostly underwater and want the control that this camera gives me. I do shoot RAW and will spend quite a bit of time to adjust exposure and white balance to get the bestresult I can. I often don't have the capability to go back and reshoot.

I'd also suggest looking at the Nikon Coolpix 8400 as it has a wider angle zoom that may suit you.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks Nagasaki, I appreciate the heads up about the Megapix Myth. I know now I don't need all those high number megapix to get quality. Saved me a lot of money.

I been working with the Nikon 4500 for 3 years.. comfortable with it. Want something compareable useage wise. Nothing less, considering control and megapix. Maybe the Nikon 8400 would work? I just want the freedom to be able to add lens, as I grow and learn more. Expand my services and horizons. Will that do it all for me?

Starting this new business.. want to put my best foot forward. With the room for advance options later. What do you suggest??

Thanks for your help.

Key
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:28 AM   #4

I don't know anything about the 8400 other than what I've read. I mentioned it because it has a 24mm-85mm 35mm equivalent lens. The 24mm end is a wider field of view than most of the compact cameras and for interior shots you are likely to need a wide angle as you can't always move further back.

If you want to be able to add lenses then you really need to look at a DSLR and I think the D70 is a great camera. A lot of people do find it hard to get to grips with after a compact as you tend to have to do more post processing on the computer to get the best out of it. This is normal with DSLRs. As you've no existing lenses to tie you into a particular system you should also look at the Canon Rebel XT.

Some compacts do allow you to add supplemental lenses (not sure about the 8400) but this is not the same as fitting the right lens for the job and the range of available supplemental lenses tends to be a lot more limited.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:27 PM   #5

If you want to stay in that $500-800 range, a dSLR will most likely not be for you. The only dSLR in this range is the Canon Digital Rebel 300D. As great as dSLR are, I would not recommend it for everyone. It's a different kind of camera than your regular P&S type. First its expensive to build libary of lenses. It's bulkier than your P&S cameras. Maybe people have become use to using a live LCD for a viewfinder and using a camera to record movies. You won't get this in a dSLR.

IMO, I would recommend the Nikon 8400. It's a good P&S with a good wide angle lense (24mm equivilant). You probably don't need to go to the 8700 or 8800 unless you really want the zoom. But you will sacrafice the wide angle lense for higher zoom optical. For interior and exterior house photography, I would assume the wider angle lense would be more important. Take a hard look at the 8400.
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the help. Those other cams you mentioned are still a little out of my business budget. 8400 is closer to the price I need and I do like the idea of the wide agle lens built in feature. Less to worry about . I'll check and see if the 8400 comes with other optional lens.

Thanks again

Key
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:55 PM   #7

Thanks Dorseto.

I'm used to the Nikon's and I like the wide angle lens feature on the 8400. Plus, your right...I am used to the viewfinderon my P&S.

Quick in and out shots of houses, max 30 minutes in the house per shoot.

Thanks for the guidance. You rock. Will researching the 8400 even more seriously. I hope it comes with an add on lens kit or I can get on for it.

Thanks Key