Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:38 AM   #1

What camera should I buy out of this two: the Fuji F-10 or Canon SD500 or should I buy somthing else? Anyway, I want an Ultracompact size camera with excellent image quality and fast performance.
Thanx.
pti4ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 7:58 AM   #2

The iso 1600 in F10 sounds great!!!
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:31 AM   #3
Administrator

tanaltan wrote:
Quote:
I'm not convinced yet. Some of the ISO 1600 photos I've seen have shutter speeds that seem too slow for the lighting conditions and aperture used.

So, I'd like to see some controlled conditions tests to see if the ISO sensitivity is as good as it's claimed to be.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:51 AM   #4
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm not convinced yet. Some of the ISO 1600 photos I've seen have shutter speeds that seem too slow for the lighting conditions and aperture used.

So, I'd like to see some controlled conditions tests to see if the ISO sensitivity is as good as it's claimed to be.

[align=left]
To elaborate, I've only taken a handful of shots inside of a bowling ally, but I'd expect much faster shutter speeds than 1/20 second at ISO 1600 and f/2.8 (which is what one of the photos I found from this camera used).

Here are some examples of shutter speeds used at only ISO 200 wth a Konica KD-510z (sorry for the quality, as they were just quick snapshots when I was meeting someone at a bowling ally):

ISO 200 at f/2.8 and 1/15 second (no flash). You can see the original here:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/image/411949

It's straight from the camera (zero modifications of any kind)
[/align]

[align=left]

This next one was taken with the built in flash (good to about 14 feet). But, note how well exposed the background is (which is well outside of the flash range). This one is also is straight from the camera with no modifications of any kind -- ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/30 second:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/image/19611599

[/align]

Now, here is a bowling ally shot taken by a new Fuji F10 owner (f/2.8, 1/20 second, ISO 1600):

http://www.pbase.com/skyway87/image/41087215

So, forgive me for being skeptical. But, as near as I can tell (based on my limited experience taking pics in aa bowling ally), it appears that the F10's ISO 1600 rating may be *optimistic*. Otherwise, shutter speeds should be faster at ISO 1600 and f/2.8.

Lighting should be at an EV of around 6 or so in this environment. Check any exposure calculator. Here is a good one. You can calculate typical exposures using 1/3 stop increments by selecting this option at the bottom. Simply select an ISO speed using the Film Speed choices.

http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/exposure_calculator.html

I hope I'm wrong, and the lighting was much lower than I think it should be for the shots I found on Pbase taken with the F10.

Note that these are not my photos (F10 images). I'm simply using links to an F10 user album at http://www.pbase.com

Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:12 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
tanaltan wrote:
Quote:

I have had my F10 for a week now, and I think it performs
as advertised. As for the ISO rating, I have compared it
to my Pana FZ20 which has identical f2.8/36mm wide angle.

I check metering aimed at the same low light target, and
with the same view. The FZ20 set to ISO 400 gives me 1/10 sec exposure while the Fuji at 1600 ISO gives me 1/40 to 1/42. So at least for my camera, it appears to meter
the same as my Pana FZ20.

As for the image quality, the 1600 shots in low light are
a little noisier than I would wish, but I'll accept that
for the ability to take low light pics without flash.

JimP
jimbopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:02 PM   #6

any suggestions
pti4ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:15 PM   #7

I also tried the SD500 and was displease with the results, many blurry and "unsharp" pictures. The colors and burst speed was its strength. Also you can buy 10 Sd-500 and all of them will have an annoying whine when you go to listen to the video clip of that special moment. Also why limit your lighting conditions with the Sd500, you can't take that new born picture in natural light without flashing that sensitive baby. Also family indoor photos are limited, wedding photos etc...

I would recommend the Finepix f-10. Only weakness of the Finepix F-10 is that it sometimes over saturates skin tone. The best point and shoot low light condition camera there is!!! So what if it looks like a tin box

the Stylus 800 sucks so bad, Why buy a 8mp camera when most of the scene settings changes it to a 3.2MP crappy picture.

I wasted a lot of money buying, testing, and Ebaying all the hyped up cameras, in search of the ultimate camera and found the Finepix a keeper. I bought the Sony T-1 (awesome 5ft flash range) , Olympus C-770, Canon Sd-500, FinePix F-10, and Sylus 800, Don't waste your time like I did, paying Ebay, PayPal, Shipping, and returns 10-15% restocking fees.

P.S. those cheap Ebay batteries only work 1/4th of the time a proprietary branded battery does. If the regular battery lasts 2hrs the cheap battery will last 30mins. They also get very hot, not worth the risk of ruining your camera.

This is only my 2 cents..
ultimatecameraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:30 PM   #8
Administrator

Old thread, huh? I just saw that it got some new posts.

OK guys, I'm convinced now.

Tests I've seen of this model (Fuji F10) indicate that the ISO ratings are not "fudged" (my original suspicion looking at some photos from it).

ISO 1600 does appear to be ISO 1600.