Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:32 PM   #1

This is similar to Misty's thread below so my apologies but wanted to ask the following:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have a 2 yr old and an infant and my Canon S30 is too slow to focus and I'm missing many memorable shots and thus, frustration ensues. I recently went to a local camera shop and waspointed in the direction of the Sony W5, Canon SD 400, and the Casio Z55.

My criteria are fast startup, fast to focus or contiuous focus, and excellent image quality. I do not use manual modes and do not want a Digi SLR at this point as I need something to bring everywhere with a somewhat smaller footprint.

Of these three, what might you experts recommend or is there another that you might recommend besides these and why? Sony W5 seems the fastest in the store but I've read alot of neg press as to poor image quality or blurring. I will also be shooting alot in lower or available lighting indoors.

Thx in advance.

Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:23 PM   #2

No replies to date and I would love any sort of feedback if you will. Thx in advance!!
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:11 PM   #3

Hi Jeff-I have a 4 year old and 11 month old so I understand your "need for speed"! I also have been through more digital cameras than I care to list! Out of the 3 you named, I have owned 2 simlar cams - the W1 and Sd200. I loved the size and build quality of the W1 but I, unfortunately, did get a lot of blurry pictuers. Actually, in my opinion, the V1 takes much better pictures (didn't get blurry shots!) but it's a tad bulky for most pockets. The SD200 was a "very good cam" - it's very FAST and the video capabilites are excellent (which is useful when shooting the cute baby moments). The picture quality was "Very Good" but not "Excellent" esp. with indoor low-light shots. I have heard that the Casio Z55 has an awesome battery life but most people would rate Canon's picture quality higher. Sooo...I would guess that the SD300 or SD400 would be a great bet. I would also suggest the slightly bigger S410 or S500 since they have better photo quality. I also like the Sony DSC-P150/200 as well. If I were you, I would buy from a local camera store like WOLF where even though you do pay more for the camera, they have a satisfaction guarantee. My local WOLF Camera will refund any camera (no restock fee) w/in 10 days and exchange any camera w/in 30 days (mine even extended it for me). I think your best best is with a Canon "S" or "SD" series depending on how small you want it to be. Everything is about compromises-the "S" series is bulkier but has better image quality but is also slower and the battery doesn't last as long and it doesn't have 640x480 video capabilities (older cams). As a side note, if you need a FAST camera, stay away from most of the Nikon Coolpix series !!! Nikon has arguably the BEST IMAGE QUALITY but unfortunately, the SLOWEST SHUTTER SPEEDS. However, they did JUST come out with a new Coolpix that is "supposedly" much faster - the 5900 that you might want to check out as well. It might suit all of your needs. My local WOLF was already sold out of them this past weekend when I went to check it out. And then there's also the Pentax Optio S5i - lots of people seem to really love that little cam...I'm not trying to confuse you but as you know, picking a digital camera is a very difficult (and ultimately, personal) choice. You might like SONY color vs. CANON color...the only REAL TEST is to buy a camera that looks promising on paper and take it home and shoot pictures in YOUR ENVIRONMENT with YOUR INDOOR LIGHTING.
Hope this helps - realize I spewed a mouthful of advice! You wanted a response, and now you got a BIG one:lol:

kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote