Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2005, 8:57 AM   #1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....507104771&rd=1

Its only $1400 AUS, which is about $800 US, is this a scam?
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:27 AM   #2

At todays exchange rate it is about $1,080.00US

Check here http://www.xe.com/ucc/

The seller doesn't say new or used, so presume used.

The 20D body can be bought for $1,369.95 here, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&Q=&O=

So a saving of approx $289.00 give or take, depending on where you buy it,for a used camera. I'd say more like a fairly realistic price rather than a scam. (Depending on it's age etc.)

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:42 AM   #3

ok, but considering prices here are crazy ($2500) for a 20D body, there are a few questions that need asking.

I asked him whether i could buy the camera with COD (cash on delievery) and his answer was

"i would rather it be put into my account for security reason. i have previously had problems with COD. sorry"

COD as far as i know is %110 reliable in all cases. The camera is new, from his "shop" that has just closed down. He is really keen to get it paid for using net transfer.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:08 AM   #4

When you say COD, do you mean he will send it to you then you send him the money ? Or do you mean you will both meet up somewhere and complete the transaction with cash ?

If the former, then, although I don't have dealings on Ebay, I would imagine this is a definite no no.

If the latter, then he may be concerned that you will want to relieve him of his camera without paying.

Your last point however does appear to be cause for concern. He's selling a new 20D for nearly half the going rate in Oz, wants the payment secured and has shut up shop. No brainer IMHO. Leave well alone.

Maybe hardened Ebayers could allay or confirm your fears.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5

As an Ebay seller I would Not take COD. If I sold you something and you decided not to accept it then the item would be sent back to me and I would have to pay all charges myself.

That aside, I would Not buy from this seller. First off he has a rating of just 65--not enough in my opinion to really know his history yet. Second his payment option says that he wants the purchaser to deposit money directly into his account. That statement would set off red flags for me--when you deposit right into somebody's accout there is NO recourse if he doesn't ship the product. Even if he'd agree to paypal, you'd still only be protected for $500 if something went wrong. The only way that I'd even consider buying an item this big from him was if you agreed to go through escrow. (www.escrow.com is ebay's recommended escrow service) It's up to you essentially but there's far to many risks in my opinion.

Oh and remember, he's shipping from Australia so any duties/taxes/extra fees that the shipping company charges you'll have to pay and they might add up to quite a bit coming from another country.
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:19 AM   #6

twofruitz is also in Australia, so that would be OK, but I am glad you came in on this one and have given it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. I wouldn't have touched it and don't suspect twofruitz would either, but you, knowing what you are talking about, have confirmed those beliefs to be sensible.

Thanks,

Stevekin.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:40 AM   #7

"First off he has a rating of just 65--not enough in my opinion to really know his history yet."

Feedback of 65 with 100% positive would be enough for me IF he had received a fair amount of that feedback as a seller; however, all his transactions to this point have been as a buyer. Add this to the fact that there is no picture of the actual itemplus the requirement to deposit directly into his account, and the risk would be too great for me.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:11 PM   #8

I agree with you lucky2505. I too noticed that all of his transactions were as the buyer, not the seller.

Twofruits, if this is a really good deal and you really want this camera then this is what I'd do. Contact the seller and tell him that if he'll agree to escrow then you'll do it. (Don't use just any escrow service though--some of them are scams--use ebay's recognized escrow http://www.escrow.com)

How escrow works is that you send the escrow company the money + a fee (in your case it would be about $25-$50) Once the escrow company receives your money then they notify the seller who ships you the camera (he has to ship so it's trackable). Once you receive the camera you tell the escrow company that you got it and all is fine and then theysend the seller the money. If the camera arrives and doesn't work or something then you send it back to the seller and escrow sends you back your money (- their fee).

This way has relatively small risk for you (just the escrow fees) andif you agree to pay all the escrow fee's yourself then there really is no risk to the buyer. If you really have your heart set on the camera then this is the only way I'd do it.

***Edited to add that I just noticed thatthis seller has just listed about $8000AU worth of auctions that all end by April 12th and all state that the payment must be deposited in his account. Another BIG red flag considering he's never sold Anything before.Get him agreeto escrow or walk.

brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 2:30 PM   #9

Just walk anyway.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:22 PM   #10

Unfortunatly, from the emails ive receieved, he looks genuine, however i dont think he knows what he is selling.

Ive tryed the Escrow thing, and will certainly buy it if he accepts. The camera is brand new in box, doesnt come with lens though.

Thanks for all of your responses.