Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:47 AM   #1

Hi, my first post here. My wife sells Jewellery and would like to take close-up pictures of same. Which digital camera can you suggest, up to 200/300pounds . Thanks in advance.
kitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2

Just about any digital zoom compact camera with a macro facility (which is just about all of them).

I'd personally be looking at the ranges from Nikon, Canon Olympus, Minolta and Pentax.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 4:27 PM   #3

Nagasaki is right, just about any camera that mentions macro in the specifications is likely to be able to focus close enough to focus.

Other features to look for is the ability to mount the camera on a tripod and a remote shutter release. You can do without the remote shutter release by using a camera with a delayed shutter release - most often used to allow the photographer to run up and get into the picture.

I'd suggest that you spend more time looking at lighting issues than at cameras.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:15 AM   #4

oops.!!!!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:15 AM   #5

Thanks guys for your very prompt responses. We have bought a flatbed/adjustable camers holder. Pivotal and vertical adjustment to about an inch from ground. She feels that this will be the point at which she wishes to do most of her work, on rings, ear-rings and the like.

We need clarity of focus at this range. Obviously we are novices, and really appreciate your comments.

Any further suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:16 AM   #6

1 inch is very close focus. Looking at a couple of reviews I found the Nikon 8800 and the Pentax Optio SV that focus to 1.2 inches. The Canon and Olympus cameras I looked at focus to 2 inches. If this is your requirement you need to narrow down your choice of camera and then check the reviews for focusing distance. I'll think you'll find it hard to search on this feature.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:08 AM   #7

Imaging Resource does a nice standardized closup test for all the cameras they test. Go to Test Results and then Closups. I just grabbed this as an example as it has about as close a focus as I know of. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD300/SD3A.HTM

You would do best with a camera that has manual exposure and focus controls IMO. If you are going to shoot that close you want the smallest (largest number) aperture you can get to increase your depth of field. You also want to be able to select focus rather than have it focused on the first surface it encounters. Depth of field can be a problem getting macro shots of anything with any depth like jewelry.

A flash intensity you can adjust directly might be a good deal as well. It might work well with the external lighting as a fill flash that way.

You might not want to focus quite that closely. It limits your lighting if you have a fairly large lens close to the object. It is probably better to shoot from 3 inches and crop unless you need lots of pixels for large photo blowups.

With the price range you indicated you will have to make some compromises and hope for the best. It is very hard to find a camera with manual focus and exposure in your price range. Maybe you could look at some older used or refurbished Nikons – Nikon has had good macro ability for quite a while. Look up the reviews at Steve's and Imaging Resource before getting an older Nikon though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:25 PM   #8

Hey, thanks to you all for the info. I am pretty sure we can find what we are looking for now. Know a lot more since we first posted. Many thanks.