Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2005, 3:51 AM   #11

Steve:
i wish i could afford to go that route. i'm not sure how the Stylus camera's are waterproofed, but i'd assume they're molded to accept o-rings in critical places or use rubber seals. i wonder if i could add o-rings and seals to the 8080. think it's possible or are there no compatible moldings? either way, i'm gonna take my chances. aside from the money problem, i'd like the pixels to make large poster-sized prints. it'd be nice if there were a "buy an 8080 get a Stylus 500 free" deal going on. i promise i'll look into it farther and see if there isn't a way i can't come by some extra funds tho. college has left me rather depleted tho! thanks for the well-wishes.

KSV:
the plan will be taking 2, possibly even 3 batteries if necessary and a solar charger (which i already have). aren't the Olympus chargers compatible with most high capacity solar chargers? i'd imagine there's an adapter available for it. i've used a solar charger as an essential piece of equipment for some time, as your hunch already pegged the fact that i do indeed carry AA based torches (and all other equipment). i usually carry 3 or 4 torches as i'm an avid night hiker, and i'm currently using an Underwater Kinetics eLED, Streamlight Propolymer luxeon, Eternalight Ergo Marine, and Princeton Tec Corona (not that you care, i'm just proud of them and thought i'd put a word in for them, heh heh). i just haven't been attracted to any camera's taking AA batteries. i figured i'd just strap the solar charger on top of my sleeping bag in a large clear Pelican case while i'm hiking and i should always have a fresh battery. i just pulled that idea outta my arse and need to research it further, but maybe someone else has been in a similar situation and i'll run into them for some input.

thanks for the help guys. it might seem like an excercise in futility, but it's not! really! :-)
Ryan in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:36 AM   #12

I'd be reluctant to dissasemble an 8080 and try to retro-fit w/ silicon O-rings, but you can certainly try. Exploded diagram available at http://www.micro-tools.com/pdf/Olymp...ries/C8080.pdf

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:26 PM   #13

8080 for the wide angle & views, and if you have a bit of cash left, a small camera for your pocket for when the 8080 is in the rucksack. I have a Sony P120 in my pocket when carrying a rucksack, even in the pouring rain [in Norway :sad:]. Battery life of the P120 is amazing. If you don't mind stitching panoramas then the choice is wider. I also have an FZ20 but the battery life is not as good as the Sony, so you may need to consider an external pack, or a few immitation Panasonic batteries. Image stabilisation is nice, particularly when it is dull.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:18 PM   #14

Jkusmier:
i would be reluctant also! i was thinking about just fitting it with o-rings and a few seals cut to shape, put some Militec-1 on them and call it weather resistant. thanks for the link to the exploded view. it looks possible to me.

Keith:
when i settle on a camera, i'd luv a smaller pocketable camera for photo's that don't require "composing". my original plan was to carry the Pentax Optio 750Z to compliment whatever main camera i got, but clearly, my funds didn't fall thru on that one! i was pretty impressed by a friend's Canon SD300 tho, which is more affordable than the 750Z. i've gotta go buy some scratch tickets or something!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:40 PM   #15
KSV

Ryan in Maine wrote:
Quote:
.....aren't the Olympus chargers compatible with most high capacity solar chargers? i'd imagine there's an adapter available for it....
Not sure. Mains - no problem, but DC do not know. Plus, even if you get DC adapter it is still IMHO would be a problem - rapid LiIon charges usually draw quite a bit of current - easy can be 2 amp - and solarbattery just can not supply such a high current (well, unless it occupied a house's roof :-) ). Again, I am not sure and would suggest to do a bit more research.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:49 PM   #16

well, i've found a few solar chargers that are supposed to be capable of charging a digital camera battery over the course of a day.

if i ever figure out a practical way to hike with it, i'll let you know. :?
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:36 PM   #17

Ryan, you must be quite the pack horse! Full-size camera, spare batteries, solar charger! When I'm out there I see guys like you carrying those big loads down the trail, but I'm more of a lightweight backpacker myself. I began the West Coast Trail (Vancouver Island) with 45 pounds on my back, and that was my all-time maximum. Luckily I managed to eat it down to 30 pounds by the end of the trip. (I generally carry about 2 pounds of foodper day, andthat works out about right, with a little bit left over in case I get stuck out there. Of course, it has to be typical energy-dense camping food.)

Seriously, though, I wonder if a portable solar charger is going be able to keep up with a high-end digital camera. Have you done the math? Somehow we need to find out how many amp-hours it's going to take to charge your camera's battery and thenfigure out what your charger is capable of putting out under typical trail conditions.(Hopefully it can also produce the desired voltage.) You might have to ration yourself to a certain number of shots per day, turn off the LCD display whenever possible,etc.

I get about 220 shots on my Canon A510, then I need to charge the two AA batteries for 4 or 5 hours at 500 mA. The A510 is a lightweight; your camera will very likely draw more current and your batteries will no doubt be higher capacity.
Daniel T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:13 AM   #18

i have a question. how often will you be able to recharge the batteries and dump the images off the card(s)? thats a little logistical issue there i think.

on ziplocking your camera in your pack- not a real wise thing to do in a humid envirnment. you trap dampness in as well as keep it out.

this is where the basics of just plain old film outshine the bright and shiney world of digital. a reasonable film camera will outperform a digital camera in this situation and cut the logistic hassles too.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:01 PM   #19
KSV

Ryan in Maine wrote:
Quote:
well, i've found a few solar chargers that are supposed to be capable of charging a digital camera battery over the course of a day.

if i ever figure out a practical way to hike with it, i'll let you know. :?
Hm... walking and charging? Still not convinced. Very much agree with Daniel Tcomments. If I would plan something like this (my longest hiking experience is 2 weeks dated back 15+ years; recent ones only 2-3 days :-) ) I would get AA battery camera (and also as much as I can AA everything else; or as least AA-adapters) and also get bunchof lithium AA batteries - they not cheap, but light, have plenty of gas, works well in cold and have tremendous shelfs life.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote