Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1

I currently have a K-M F5 and am generally pleased with it, although I have experienced some lack of sharpness in its photographs.

Largely because I am a gadget addict and thoroughly enjoy playing with new toys, I am considering getting a Panasonic FZ5.

I've read reviews of both camers at various sites, but haven't seen any head-to-head comparisions. From what I've gleaned from the individual reviews, the Panasonic seems to win out with the K-M Z5's only advantages being a slightly larger LCD (2" vx 1.8") and higher quality movie mode.

Anyone care to offer some thoughts on these two cameras?
Argelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:40 PM   #2

I'm considering buying the KM Z5 and saw your post. Have you taken photos with the HARD SHARP engaged? I read that unless you have that selected, the photos tend to be on the "soft" side. I'll check out tye Panasonic FZ5 .......thanks.

Overall, how do you like thethe Z5. I want a 5mp withat least a 10X zoom.....so I was looking at the Kodak's until I saw the KM Z5.

Thanks for any more info you can supply me........and let me know if youhave been using the Hard Sharp setting and are still not happy with the photos.:-)

lwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:15 PM   #3

Hey,
As far as the K-M Z5, I can't honestly say there are major problems with it (as a casual user who isn't looking really hard for problems). The only issues I've noticed:

[1] "Soft" pictures. I've taken the advice I've read in various reviews and increased the in-camera sharpening. This does help.

[2] Problems with focusing in low-light conditions. Since the camera has no autofocus assist lamp this appears to be a problem with no work-around.

[3] Relatively long recharge time between flash photographs. I'm using high-amp rechargables (and have tried alkalines) and it continues to be a (minor) issue.

Having read all the reviews of these two cameras I could find, I haven't found a single one that rates the K-M above the Panosonic.

Again, my desire to try the Panasonic isn't bred so much out of dissatisfaction with the Konica-Minolta Z5, as it is from my overwhelming compulsion to try out a new gadget...
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:41 AM   #4

The Z5 has more interesting features such as AA batteries & 640 movie recording which i both find very important but then again the FZ-5 has a better lens,shutter speed down to 8 instead of 4.

It`s main advantage over the KM is image quality and isn`t this what it`s all about...."taking pictures".

Look at the reviews,i`ve read 4 and they all favor the Panasonicby far.

If you read the comments in the forums,you`ll see the same reaction, many KM owners complain about their camera as for the PAnasonic owners,they are all very very happy and astonished by the quality and performance of the FZ-5.

I`d go for what reviews tell you and mainly what owners say about their new toy.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ5/

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/pan...z5/fz5-gen.php

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ra-Review-.htm

Enjoy.....by the way .... i`m buying a FZ-5 next week ... i`ll send you pics if you want ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:00 AM   #5

Thanks for your thoughts. Soon I'll be able to do the ultimate head-to-head comparison -- I just orderd an FZ5. So until the "loser" gets dropped on eBay, I'll get to try them both.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 4:40 PM   #6

I don't mind the prop battery in the FZ5... got a spare and I like how it takes up little room. I cannot believe the quality of the pictures it takes (and it isn't my ability, believe me!). The focus is really fast and I've some really good pictues taken in a pretty dark room. The only thing I haven't done yet are night photos.

I haven't been this excited or loved a purchase so much since I bought my jeep cherokee sport in 2000.
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote