Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:03 AM   #1

Hi guys!

I am new at DC's, so dont over-estimate my knowledge!

I am absolutely in love :? with the Kodak DX 7590 and am looking to buy myself one. But... I checked the sample photos on Steve's reviews, and compared them to those of the Fuji s5100. I found those of the Fuji to be much sharper with much more detail.

Is it really like that, or could it just be that different apertures were used and the one got more detail in that the other? I found this with almost all of the photo's though.

Just wondering. Please help!!!
Thanks

Madré
mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:04 PM   #2

Check the samples at this site.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:28 PM   #3

Mads,

I too had considered the Kodak (among a few others)prior to buying the Fuji S5100. One of the main reasons was the fit in my hand, or the lack thereof. I have long fingers, and I could not hold the DX 7590 comfortably. Check these links, then scroll down until you reach the overhead view of the camera. Compare the distance between the battery case and the lens.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...uji_s5100.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX7590/DX75A.HTM

I can wrap my hand around the battery compartment on the S5100, but could not on the 7590 - there's just no room for fingertips. I can hold, turn on, focus and shoot my S5100 with one hand...I could not with the 7590 (afraid of dropping it). Something else to consider - make sure you test drive before you buy.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:06 PM   #4

Please consider the Konica Minolta DiMage Z5. In the same price range of the Kodak, but it's a 12X zoom PLUS it has stabilization built in PLUS you can ZOOM during Video capture......not many others do that. You can get it for around $400 US ( give or take $20.00 at several places ( new.....not referbished) PLUS this uses EITHER regular OR rechargable AA batteries. You need a $40.00 special battery for the Kodak.....plus their docking station. Iread thatthe battery cover easliy breaks off ( Amazon.com reviews) so unless you use a docking station for recharging, you may run into this problem.

I too am looking for a new camera, and want a 5MP and wanted better zoom capability. This one fits that bill. I have always had Kodak cameras and was seriously looking at the 7630 and the 7590........until I saw the Z5.

I'm still researching, thus my joining this group. "Good luck to all.
lwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:20 AM   #5

Hi guys!

Thanks very much for ur replies. Its great to hear from you! I have only tried out the Fuji s5100 camera, but it would probably be wise to try out the rest first, right!
I think I am going to try and make a plan this weekend to do so. I also have longish fingers, for a girl that is, so i'll keep that in mind!

That minolta z5 looks very sexy! It costs a fair bit more than the Kodak in this part of the world, but i'll look into that. And I really like the AA batteries!! So, Lwos let me know what you decide!

Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:22 AM   #6

Hi all!
I just need a few quick pointers as to what I need to look for when trying out a camera in the shop. I'm sure you have much more experience in this than I do. Please help if you could. Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:40 AM   #7

Just get the one that feels right to you!,,, that's the one you will use more, & enjoy.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:23 PM   #8

Narrow your search to no more than three or four different cameras, based on the features you feel you must have. Some stores may have many different brands and models on display, and it is easy to become overwhelmed and confused.

Compare the viewfinder image against the lcd monitor image - they should be identical. If one shows a larger view than the other, your picture may have more or less information in it than you had planned. Compare the speed of the zoom and the amount of time to lock into focus. Most of all, pick one that is comfortable in your hand.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote