Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:06 AM   #1

Back several years ago, I bit the bullet and purchased what was then the smallest 2 megapixel digital camera I could afford, the Canon S10. I have always been satisfied with it, however manually disabling the flash essentially means the camera is useless, as even with a tripod I could not get the camera to focus properly. Also shutter-lag speeds were apparrant. A steady hand was required.

But now I've got kids on the way, and its time to upgrade. I realize that the only way I'll ever use a camera is if I can toss it in my pocket. In looking at 5 megapixel cameras I see the Canon Digital ELPH SD-400 and the Sony DSC-W5 are the new kids on the block

I dont know if I want to pay the premium price for 7.0 megapixel resolution...that, to me, seems overkill, and in general means $100 more. Considering I'll need a spare battery AND a flash medium of sufficient size, I dont know that I need a $650 dollar digital camera.

Of course....the better I get now, the less I'll be inclined to upgrade later on down the line.

I've been trying to read the reviews of the previous-years models of these cameras, as the Sony W5 is brand new and the SD-400 isn't out yet. I lean towards the Canon because of its smaller size, I imagine the pictures each camera takes are "about the same".

Is there any reason to choose one of these over the other? And lastly....is 7 megapixels and up really questionable for a pocket-cam (and the quality of print it will produce with such a small lens, etc)......is it worth it to get the 7 megapixel versus the 5...?

Thanks for the read.
HeadRusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:16 PM   #2

I compared the two and liked the shots from the Canon better (they consisted of the inside and parking lot of a Ritz Camera.)

I bought the Canon and am very happy with it, hopefully will be for a good long time. I also bought a regular 512 SanDisk card and am eyeing clone batteries on eBay (boughta clonefor my Elura2 and am exceedingly happy with it, not bad for $20.)

The only downside from what I've read is aless-than-optimal battery life.
TedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:22 PM   #3

The 400 (5.0 megapixel) or the SD-500...which is the one you came home with?

I mention both above in my post, but my topic is really about the 400 versus the W5.

Thank you!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:06 PM   #4

The SD-400
TedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:08 PM   #5

Many Thanks!