Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:05 PM   #1

My first digital camera was an HP 215. Needless to say, I have not used that one in a few years. I want a camera that I will use mainly for posting pictures online, but I want it to be able to produce excellent 8 x 10's too. Here are cameras I have chosen. Which takes the best quality pictures? If there is one that takes better quality for less than $300.00, then please suggest one.

Kodak CX7530

Nikon 4100

Canon A510

Kodak DX6490

Kodak DX 7440
newcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:30 PM   #2

newcam wrote:
Quote:
My first digital camera was an HP 215. Needless to say, I have not used that one in a few years. I want a camera that I will use mainly for posting pictures online, but I want it to be able to produce excellent 8 x 10's too. Here are cameras I have chosen. Which takes the best quality pictures? If there is one that takes better quality for less than $300.00, then please suggest one.

Kodak CX7530

Nikon 4100

Canon A510

Kodak DX6490

Kodak DX 7440

I suppose it depends on your definition of an 'excellent 8x10'. For me that would mean a density of 300 printer dots/inch on the print. For an 8x10 print that would be 2400x3000 pixels which is pretty close to 6Mp. This is why the only reason for multi-megapixel cameras is to produce prints...if all we were doing was showing shots online...we wouldn't need anything much more than 1Mp since anything bigger doesn't fit on most monitors.

Kodak CX7530= 4.9Mp

Nikon 4100 = 3.9Mp

Canon A510 = 3.1Mp

Kodak DX6490 = 4.0Mp

Kodak DX7440 = 4.0Mp

So, from your list, none will produce an 'excellent' 8x10 but they will be 'acceptable'. The 7530 would give the best print results. Some people were happy with 8x10s from 2Mp cameras and, years ago, I remember people telling me that prints from sub-megapixel cameras were 'just like a 35mm film photograph'...it depends on your standards.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:40 PM   #3

I guess I want a camera that will produce 8 x 10s that would look like they were done professionally.

If none of the above will do that, then I will be willing to pay more for one that will. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:08 PM   #4

What makes good pictures is the skill of the person using the camera, not the camera itself. I've taken beautiful shots with a cheapo Intel webcam from Toys R Us, and terrible shots with my Panasonic FZ20.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:18 PM   #5

I agree it's photographers that take pictures not cameras. All the cameras you mention should produce acceptable 8x10 output. If you want a higher resolution look at the 8 or 8Mp cameras from the same manufacturers.

You don't actually say how you are going to print the pictures. A good photoshop will produce better prints than an inkjet printer. A good inkjet printer is probably capable of producing better prints than a poor photoshop.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:45 PM   #6

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
So, from your list, none will produce an 'excellent' 8x10 but they will be 'acceptable'. The 7530 would give the best print results. Some people were happy with 8x10s from 2Mp cameras and, years ago, I remember people telling me that prints from sub-megapixel cameras were 'just like a 35mm film photograph'...it depends on your standards.
Actually that is false. 5mp and probably 3 and 4 too are enough to get excellent results(perhaps with 3-4 you'd get very good ones)... It mostly depends on the subject you are taking, the lens of the camera, the size of the sensor, the compression level.... As you can see there are more than just megapixels to consider. Tho it is true that it does play a role.

As others have stated its the photographer who really does the difference, but it helps to have a good camera(specially when you're not a pro). None of those pictures will look like a photo picture taken with a film dSLR. Its true that from less than 6 inch distance, your 5x7(or 4x6)prints will *probably* look better than your 8x10. But then again, its not sure, so do yourself a favor and print an 8x10 picture taken with the Kodak CX7530 and one taken with the Canon A510. Make sure that the picture is compressed the LEAST possible, meaning that for a 5mp, you'd get at least 1.8mb and for 3, I'm not sure since I don't take pics with 3mp.

Since you will mostly use it to post pictures online, 3mp is MORE than enough... make sure you take that in consideration, because not only does more mp usually cost more, but it takes more space and on the same card you can't fit as many pics, so you need to buy more memory which means it costs even more. All in all, I think you could be very satisfied with either of those cameras, perhaps 5mp would ease your mind. One thing tho, I have no clue about how they perform, cept for the A510 which I have an idea.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:22 PM   #7

I'll get them printed out at a store. Idefinitelywon't print them myself. Thanks to all who are replying to this post. It is really helpful!
Old Apr 14, 2005, 3:20 PM   #8

I have decided on a Canon a510. I will use that camera, and if I don't like the quality that I get with it, then I will sell it and get a Canon G6.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:54 PM   #9

Good choice. I'm sure you will like it. And it will produce very nice 8x10's with a good sharp photo. Enjoy your new camera.

Rotti123 is offline   Reply With Quote