Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:42 PM   #1

Whatis the big different other than being able to change lens are there? Does one produce better shots than the other? I am looking at the Canon pro 1 VS the Digital Rebel
sybbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:25 PM   #2
KSV

Main difference in sensor size - in DSLR it heaps bigger. So each pixel much bigger and capable to collect more light, so performance (particularly noise at high ISO anddynamic range) much better in DSLR. Plus lenses for small sensors need to be made with higher precision then for bigger one, so lens performance in DSLR better as well (I am talking here about budget kit lenses in DSLR - if you can buy "proper" one then difference just blow you away). Also DSLR have faster operations - particularly start-up time and shutter lag. You pay extra money for all this plus DSLR bulkier and not so convenient to carry around.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:25 PM   #3

Thank you . Is the Rebel worth the cost over the pro 1?
sybbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:13 AM   #4
gjb

sybbie,

Check out this site for a comparison of the Pro1 vs. a Canon DSLR. I was suprised by what was achieved with the Pro1. http://luminous-landscape.com/review...rnatives.shtml
gjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:16 PM   #5
KSV

sybbie wrote:
Quote:
Thank you . Is the Rebel worth the cost over the pro 1?
IMHO for the little bit extramoney you will have much more. Not saying that Pro 1 is not a good camera - not at all - I just can not justify price, its it. If money is issue have a look at 300D - good deals now around (BTW there is other brands producing DSLR, not only Canon :-) ). DSLR has only one practical disadvantage - they usually much bulkier, particularly with big enough lens to be "equivalent" to prosumer camera. But versatility and quality wise there is no question - any DSLR will beat to the death any prosumer, but to achieve this you have to learn - very often if used blindly as P&S DSLR could deliver disappointing result not much better then prosumer :-)
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:11 AM   #6

Hi Sybbie,

A strange thing happened me this week!

I have been taking photos for the past three years on digital cameras.

For the first two and a half years I used a prosumer Olympus c5050.

Six months ago I bought the Canon Digital rebel with the expectation that it would improve the quality of my photos. It came with the standard 18-55 zoom lens.

Yes it is a great camera, no shutter lag, through the lens viewing and all the other advantages that a DSLR has.

Now the downside, bulky andexpensive add-on lens.

Now getting to my strange happening. I bought a photo printer, a Canon Pixma IP6000, my first photo printer. I printedmany photos taken with my Olympus C5050 and from my Rebel at a size of 11"x8".

The difference was amazing. The Olympus out performed the Rebel in all cases,Sharper and more vibrant,.

I know if I bought more expensive lens like the 17-40L that there would be a marked improvement. The only problem is that i love Macro photography too, so I would have to buy something like a 50mm 2.5f macro lens. Already the cost would be mounting up above what I could afford.

After much tests I have decided to buy an Olympus C8080. This was after printing test photos from the following. Print and see for yourself.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...w/P3200091.JPG

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...w/IMG_2113.JPG

I know most people will probably disagree with my views but I think if you like Landscape, macro and general photography then the increase in shutter lag (although small) certainly will not cause a problem.

Hi Sybbie,

John
John Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:55 PM   #7
KSV

John Cox wrote:
Quote:
I know most people will probably disagree with my views...
Indeed :-) My post states "If you wish to learn". Obviously DSLR is not for everyone (forget about price for a moment) - it is more serious photographic tool witch require much more understanding what happens behind the lens. If you happy with your P&S camera and can not see difference between it and DSLR in quality of pix (or even worse- it give you better quality), then I would say it would be ridiculous for you fork out extra hundreds dollars for DSLR! :|