Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:25 PM   #1

hi everyone. any input will be greatly appreciated. heres my situation. im about to make the jump into SLR photography. at first...i was looking at getting the D70..but recently i noticed the new Canon for much cheaper. and then while looking in that range....i noticed the pentax.

Ok...i have no lenses. im starting from scratch...and im wondering what you would do if you were in my position. where i am....the 2 cameras are the exact same price and both come with kit lenses.

what i like about the PENTAX:

the feel of it in my hand, AA batteries, the size, i already have an SD card, i hear its much stronger built (metal vs plastic?)

what i like about the CANON:

i've been reading only good things, the size, 8MP, i heard the pentax pics in jpg mode arent top quality

So...i guess my question is...which would you buy? if i said i was going to get the pentax.....what would you say to change my mind????? thanks

dogonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:28 PM   #2

Shot this with my *stDS and the image looks top quality to me!

http://www.computerartscompany.com/GreyOwl_Sm.jpg

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:47 PM   #3

hehe! nice owl...is that real?

it looks top quality to me too. maybe people were referring to the kit lens? im not sure....

so tom...you would choose pentax over XT for the same price?
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:51 PM   #4
KSV

Additional pluses for *istDS (IMO):

Ultimate lens versatility - you can use with this camera whatever you can stick to it, and some of top-quality second-hand glass dirt cheap, although almost always manual.

Best (biggest and brightest) pentaprizm viewfinder in the class

Very accurate autofocus

Best LCD monitor in class

Minuses for XT (IMO):

Shocking small tunnel-like pentamirror viewfinder

Got great tendency blow out light

No spot metering

LCD info-panel located on the back rather on the top (this is subjective one, but I dislike it greatly)

Kit lens has plastic mount and feel very cheap, however folks say that produce acceptable images

What about "poor JPG performance" in *istDS - IMHO it is B.S. Put camera in "normal" mode, push sharpness one point up and JPG would be perfectly OK. But main thing about this camera - it does not feel as "downgraded" or "stripped" or "cheaply executed" version of *istD, but rather as properly designedphotographic tool.

Good luck with your choice :|
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:21 AM   #5

I would pick the DS over the XT for a couple of reasons.

1-Compatability with all 35mm lenses Pentax made including screw mount lenses with use of in camera metering.

Here is a shot I took with a screw mount 17mm lens I purchased in 1969:

http://www.computerartscompany.com/Ford_PU_Sm.jpg

2-The sensor in the XT like the 300D tends to blow out the highlights, where the DS will not in the same situation.

Tom
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:32 AM   #6

thanks for all the input guys! and nice pics

are there any canon-heads in here? or is this all pro-pentax?

i would love to hear from a canon user...
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:51 AM   #7
KSV

dogonwheels wrote:
Quote:
...or is this all pro-pentax?...
Relax - this site (as almost all internet) strongly Canon - oriented :-)
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:28 AM   #8

dogonwheels wrote:
Quote:
thanks for all the input guys! and nice pics

are there any canon-heads in here? or is this all pro-pentax?

i would love to hear from a canon user...
Give it some more time, they'll come out.

Personally, I bought the XT. It's a great camera, but people are right that the viewfinder is quite small and takes extra effort to use. When people say the XT "blow out light", I have noticed this a bit, but its still a great camera.
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:13 AM   #9

To be fair, the XT is faster than the DS and it has image stabilization (for big money) available, which the DS does not.

It is a good camera and you should make your own decision as to which one you want to buy.

I was just sharing my reasons for purchasing the DS and I have no regrets or Canon envy!

Yes, that is a real live Great Grey Owl in the wild, not in a Zoo with no sharpening done to the image.

Tom
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:21 PM   #10
KSV

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
To be fair, the XT is faster than the DS and it has image stabilization (for big money) available, which the DS does not.
Sorry, Tom, I feel that it would be wise to explain to dogonwheels what you meant :-)

XT faster in sense of "rapid fire" - i.e. can capture consecutive images faster and has much bigger buffer. This feature is very important for sport photography and a bit for wildlife photography as well. "Image stabilization" actually means "image stabilized lens" - great staff for long telephoto, but cost great money :-) AFAIK IS lenses not available for Pentax, but there is quite a few for Canon. BTW IMHO other two pluses of XT are availability of extra grip and ability to write RAW and JPG at the same time. What regarding blowing lights I think it is due to two factors: mediocre Canon metering system and the fact that 350D use CMOS, not CCD - while CMOS is a bit less noisier at very high ISO, butit has smaller dynamic range and therefore more sensitive for exposure mistakes - proc and conc everywhere :-) . Both camera are great and you have to make your choice. I am with Tom - have chosen *istDS and do not regret it :-)