Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:53 PM   #11

Hey Ken,

After reading your last post, I'm ready to go out and buy a Fuji S5100...wait a minute...I already own one!

You're right, the S5100 is a real nice camera for the price. The only thing you failed to elaborate on was how great the S5100 is on batteries. A set of NiMh's lasts a real long time in my camera, and I have been doing a lot of experimenting with zoom, flash, and movie mode. I haven't really tried to keep track of how many pictures I can take with a set of batteries, but I'd say at least 350, 4 MP pics (with 2400 mAH Nexcell's). I've yet to have the camera shut down due to an exhausted battery condition, and I've only seen the low battery warning indicator once.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:39 PM   #12

You're right about the batteries Hun. The CIPA rated the the S5100 at 200 shots with Alkaline batteries and 400 shots with NiMH-2300's.

No matter how you use the camera, 200-400 shots off a set of batteries is one heck of a lot of pictures!
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:17 AM   #13

Ok I am really leaning towards this camera....Fuji FinePix S7000

But it doesn't have the shake stablizer. Do you find when using the zoom this is a problem? Or in low light?
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:31 PM   #14

CCWKen and hakaplan

Every review I read and every forum I log onto has nothing but good to say about the S5100. The only real criticism I can find is that this camera is cumbersome to use in manual mode. What is your experience of this camera in manual mode?
CoachP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:55 PM   #15

Thanks to all for your feedback. I decided to go with the Fuji S5100 and so far have not been disappointed. I am happy with my choice.

If you are still following this thread, any suggestions about a 55mm circular polarizer for this camera? I've read B&W and Hoya are good and in my price range, but I really don't know much about these companies.

Coach P.
CoachP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 10:02 PM   #16

CoachP wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to all for your feedback. I decided to go with the Fuji S5100 and so far have not been disappointed. I am happy with my choice.

If you are still following this thread, any suggestions about a 55mm circular polarizer for this camera? I've read B&W and Hoya are good and in my price range, but I really don't know much about these companies.

Coach P.
Well, I'm no expert on filters, but the advice I've always read (and followed myself) was the following:

Get Hoya multicoated, it's a decent price for a decent filter. Tiffen are also OK, if you get a good deal on it. If you've got money to spare (and who doesn't :-) ), then go for the B&W or Heliopan.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote