Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:25 PM   #1

I'm looking to purchase my first digital camera. I've read good things about these two four megapixel cameras and can get either for about the same price. I strongly lean towards using AA batteries (the S5100) as I rather detest lithium ion batteries, however,I don't want to sacrifice image quality or camera flexibility soley on that one criterion.

Your experience and feedback re: both of these cameras is most appreciated.

Coach P.
CoachP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 3:59 PM   #2

You might be able to have the quality of the Olympus, plus more flexibility and more features for probably less money if you consider the C-750 or C-755 (actually identical). I don't think you'll find any dealer selling them new, but on ebay you can find lots of people selling immaculate used ones, or in some cases, refurbished, (and occasionally new)for much less than you'd pay for either a 765 or the Fuji. The C-750/755 is slightlylarger, but that's because it takes AA batteries (regular and rechargeable NiMH) Not only that, but it also accepts lithium CR-V3 rechargeables--I like their greater charge-holding ability when not in use. I assume when you say you detest lithium batteries, you mean proprietary batteries, but the 750 gives you the flexibility of accepting both.

The 750/755has all of the features of the C-765, plus a hot shoe for adding an external flash that can be controlled automatically by the camera. And, the 765 will not work with a wireless remote; the 750/755 will--if the remote does not come in the package you purchase, it is available separately on ebay and elsewhere. If you check the sample pix on Steve's site or DCRP, you find the quality is the same. Only difference is slight improvement on the 765 with regard to zoom speed--IMO insignificant compared to the other advantages of the 750/755.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...=1&start=0

I considered the Fuji S-5100, the grip feel in my hand was great,it does have a autofocus assist lamp for low light conditions, and I think the image quality is good. But I wear glasses and use my left eye to shoot, and the viewfinder and zoom lever are so close together on the back of the camera that it is impossible to operate comfortably. I suggest to actually pick then up and feel them. You won't find a 750 in a store, but the 765 is almost the same--just slightly smaller--but all controls are in the same relative positions.

hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:29 PM   #3

Do you have any opinions about the Minolta Dimage Z2 compared to the Olympus? It is being recommended to me on another website?

Thanks!

Coach P.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:51 PM   #4

Go with the Oly over the Minolta. And no matter what, never choose a camera on the advise of an internet salesman!! They only care about their commission and clearing out their overstocked inventory, they don't really know or care about your needs and preferences. Do your own research and then buyfrom a reputable source.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good look in your search.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:53 PM   #5

CoachP wrote:
Quote:
Do you have any opinions about the Minolta Dimage Z2 compared to the Olympus? It is being recommended to me on another website?
I personally don't like the image quality of the Z2, but that's subjective, of course. In addition, the Z2 has a mechanism which mechanically moves a mirror internally to switch from the LCD to the viewfinder. I thinkit's a recipe for malfunction and as soon as I discovered this feature I immediately eliminated the Z2 from my list. Apparently Minolta felt the same way and discontinued that feature on later models.

Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:14 PM   #6

The suggestion of the Minolta Z2 came from a reviewer such as yourself at Digital Camera Resource Forums, not a salesman trying to sell me something.

Can you give me any specific reasons that you would stay away from the Minolta? It got a good review on this website (as well as others), has many features, and is selling for a great price.

Thanks for your time.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:56 PM   #7

CoachP wrote:
Quote:
Can you give me any specific reasons that you would stay away from the Minolta? It got a good review on this website (as well as others), has many features, and is selling for a great price.
Maybe you didn't see my post above--I specifically mentioned the problems with the EVF/LCD switching mechanism, and the picture quality. It's ironic that someone on DCRP was praising it--the DCRP review specifically mentioned theproblems I pointed out. Check out that review.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:52 PM   #8

hakaplan wrote:
Quote:
It's ironic that someone on DCRP was praising it--the DCRP review specifically mentioned theproblems I pointed out. Check out that review.
Actually, no one was praising the Z2. It was merely a suggestion to be considered, as it fit the op's requirements......

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 1:44 AM   #9

Quote:
I strongly lean towards using AA batteries (the S5100) as I rather detest lithium ion batteries, however,I don't want to sacrifice image quality or camera flexibility soley on that one criterion.
You won't see any sacrifices with the S5100. It takes great photos and it's easy on batteries. It's a fast camera too-From power up. A few of the reviews nit-pic about it not having Image Stabilization but with this sub $300 camera with a 370mm zoom, the great optics and fast speed (up to 1/2000) sure make up for it. I haven't been able to duplicate the vignetting described in some to the reviews. I don't know but this may be due to shipping or droping the camera. Mine shows no sign of it.

Some of the reviews don't mention the ASA64 capabilities either. They mention only that at the ASA400 is a little grainy. Typical with all sub-$2,000 cameras. Even so, the photo comparisons are sharper than Nikon, Canon, Oly and others in <$500 range. To me, this means the reviews are comparing cameras $200 more than the Fuji S5100 and it's still eating their lunches. It has ASA 64, 100, 200, 400 and Auto. The S5100 also has the best flash range of any camera in the comparison group.

Another review complaint is that the S5100 has only the "top 3" and "final 3" modes. It not only has that but also auto bracketing at -1/3, 0, +1/3. If you need more that that, just"pull the trigger" again. The camera's super fast memory write speed will be ready. It will also capture up to 40 frames at 1.6fps. I haven't seen that in any of the reviews. That is not the movie function either. The movie mode is30fps at 640x480! Did I mention the camera is less than $300? !!!

Too many folks look down their noses at the Fuji brand only to be blown away where it counts--The picture. I spent several months looking at cameras and reviews. To get anywhere near the capabilities of the 5100, you'd easily spend $500 MORE. I've only had mine for just over a month. One thing for sure though; I've had a grin from ear-to-ear ever since and haven't had a single regretful thought.

CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:29 PM   #10

CCWKen wrote:
Quote:
Too many folks look down their noses at the Fuji brand only to be blown away where it counts--The picture. I spent several months looking at cameras and reviews. To get anywhere near the capabilities of the 5100, you'd easily spend $500 MORE. I've only had mine for just over a month. One thing for sure though; I've had a grin from ear-to-ear ever since and haven't had a single regretful thought.

I'd have to agree with CCWKen. If it hadn't been for mypersonal ergonomics issue, I very well might have purchased the S5100. It is a bargain for the features you get.