Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1

Iam interested in taking pictures of horses in motion. I need to capture the motion when the legs are in a certain position relative to each other. I guess I need a camera that will let me press and hold the shoot button and have it take many pictures per second. I would also like to take videos with the same camera. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve B
sdbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:20 PM   #2

sdbolton wrote:
Quote:
Iam interested in taking pictures of horses in motion. I guess I need a camera that will let me press and hold the shoot button and have it take many pictures per second. I would also like to take videos with the same camera.

Then how 'bout a video camera! 30 fps... and it can take videos!

Or better yet, how about a movie camera -- 24 fps and you don't have to worry about video blur when you're isolating frames. :G

Okay, maybe I'm being a little bit snotty... sorry. I think the answer depends upon how much you're willing to spend.

There are a number of consumer or prosumer digicams that have "okay" burst rates. For example, the Olympus C-7070 has a 3.3 frame/sec burst of 4 images.

The Canon PowershotPro1 can do 2.5 frames/sec (I think that's continuous; no maximum "burst") but only at a lower quality picture.

But dSLRs, like the Canon 20D can do 5 frames/sec for about 23 frames. It also has AI Servo to constantly focus on the subject. But the 20D costs ~ $1500 U.S. (and unless a slow, 18-55mm lense would work, which I doubt for this application, you'd have to buy lenses as well)

Of course, the more you're willing to pay, the better performance you'll get. The Canon EOS-1D Mark II can do 8.5 frames per second at less-than-high-quality. But it costs ~ $4000 U.S. The EOS-1Ds Mark II probably goes even faster (I can't find the lowres stats) but costs ~$8000.

If all you need to do is get pictures of the horse in a particular position(s), then I would think that something with 3 fps or so would work-- but you might have to take a couple bursts' worth of pictures to ensure you got the right shot.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 3:41 PM   #3

Snotty, is ok. It clears the sinuses. Actually video is what I'vetried for this application. The problem was the video edit software would not let me save a single frame to jpeg. I was using Dazzle's Movie Pro (Dazzle for sure, I'm guessing on the Movie Pro part). Do you know of a video editor taht lets you save a single video frame to jpeg? Thanks, SteveB
sdbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:58 PM   #4

There are tons-- of course, most of the ones I know of are pricey (or on a Mac). For example, Apple's Final Cut Pro does, and I think even the free iMovie does, too. I'm sure Adobe's video programs do, too (Like Adobe Premiere). I don't have experience with consumer-grade video programs. There might be some in this list that will serve that purpose (but beware, capturing still frames from video is sometimes not the best quality, and you're limited to approx. 720x540 resolution)

http://emoney.al.ru/capture-streamin...bcam-video.htm

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:08 AM   #5

Hi,* Adobe Premiere WILL do what you want. You can buy it on eBay really cheap. Regards TT.
Techi-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:28 AM   #6

Best bet in cameras would be Canon's 1dMK2. It does 8.5fps at 8MP. No other camera does that. You can buy realy nice used one with low shutter count at <$2500. The N version is more expensive.

The FF EOS-1Ds Mark II only does something like 4fps as it is 16MP.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote