Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:13 AM   #1

Hi Guys! I'm new to the board and I was hoping I could get some help here choosing a camera. I'm looking for one that's below $500 and my priorities are pretty simple. Here they are in order:

1) Video recording (unlimited length and high resolution)
2) I don't know how you call it..there is probably a term for this....but what I hate about my old digital camera is it takes forever to take a picture...i think it's taking a long time for the flash to charge up or something...i'm not sure...but I want to make sure that this new camera i'm getting can take pictures the instant i press on the button..or at least as soon as possible.

Thanks for all your help!!

Yorick
Monkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:13 AM   #2

actually..I've been looking at the Sony DSC-L1. It seems to be a nice compact camera with the features I want. Do anybody have better alternatives to this one for a similar price? (about $250usd)

Yorick
Monkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:11 AM   #3

Monkiboy wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys! I'm new to the board and I was hoping I could get some help here choosing a camera. I'm looking for one that's below $500 and my priorities are pretty simple. Here they are in order:

1) Video recording (unlimited length and high resolution)
2) I don't know how you call it..there is probably a term for this....but what I hate about my old digital camera is it takes forever to take a picture...i think it's taking a long time for the flash to charge up or something...i'm not sure...but I want to make sure that this new camera i'm getting can take pictures the instant i press on the button..or at least as soon as possible.

Thanks for all your help!!

Yorick
#1.. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of video on digicams but if you insist on having it, 640x480 at 30fps is the best resolution you are likely to find. Make sure your camera, whichever you choose will fill the card and isn't limited by any other means.

#2.. One term is shutter lag.. Look for that in the reviews as you check out your choices.. A lot of factors are involved in picture to next picture speed.. Flash charging, autofocus, metering, writing the last pic to the card (the larger the photo the longer it'll take), etc.. If your old digicam is taking a very long time, the flash may be wearing out and isn't charging fast enough.. You won't like it because of the video but my panasonic FZ20 will do about 1 frame per second with flash.. None of them are going to be instant though.. The only cameras I know of that are, are full manual film SLRs..

Good luck
Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:46 AM   #4

FYI: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

it's a constantly updated list of digicams that do video.

Yes, shutter lag is a problem on digicams. Reviews usually mention it to evaluate the camera, but you should try it out in the store (with a memory card) to see how it will work for you.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:49 AM   #5

Hi the best camera with a full 640x480 @ 30 fps is the Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200. Here's why;

8MP, 7x optical zoom, 1.8" rotatable LCD, full manual controls, D-SLR LIKE!!!!, expand through lenses and flash units, great ISO 200 and 400 pics for night shooting, 1/3200 shutter speed, plus lots more! It sells for $562 from pricegrabber.com (Butterflyphoto.com or Shopdigitalonline.com). Even though your budget is 500, I guess 65 bucks extra is ok for this. DO NOT BUY SONY DIGICAMS!! There 640x480 mode is a FAKE:shock: INTERPOLATED 320X240 MODE:sad: AND IS REALL CRAP. THIS IS A SCAM BY SONY:evil:.

Heres the movie modes

800x600 @ 15 fps

640x480 @ 30 or 15 fps

320x240 @ 30 or 15 fps

There is a clip length limit of 15 MINUTES (THATS STILL A LOT).

You can get a 4gb (yes four GB) Hitachi microdrive for $170 from ebay that is 7MB/s, or a 12MB/s 1gb Lexar card for $102. 4gb will store 1 hours worth of VGA @ 30 fps, and a lot more hours at 320x240 @30fps mode! 1gB will store about 16 mintues.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Trust me I have searched for the perfect digicam with the best movie mode and other features, and the DiMAGE A200 is THE BEST. Its almost a D-SLR.
Digicamguy is offline   Reply With Quote