Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2005, 4:07 AM   #1

I have used Olympus C-5050 Zoom for quite some time and was quite satisfied with the camera. Now I want to buy a new camera (SLR or SLR like camera). My question is which other brands have good cameras, in terms of image quality, noise control, ease of use...etc. Or should I stay with Olympus and buy Olympus c-8080?

Your professional advice would be appreciated. Let's assume price is not a subject.
abdylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:06 AM   #2

Image quality and low noise is better on the DSLR cameras, however if you want ease of use then you are generally not going to get this with a DSLR. All DSLR cameras have a simple mode but using that you will never get the best out of the camera and again to get the best out of the camera you are most likely to need more post processing on the computer with DSLR pictures.

Olympus make very good cameras as do Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Canon and Minolta.

I suggest reading some of the reviews on this site there aren't that many in the 6-8Mp range to look at and it will give you a good idea of what is available.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:45 AM   #3

If you're used to olympus 'onboard' features like cropping, resizing and sports mode then check other brands have these features. I tried a canon g6 that had none of the above and i really missed them, luckily the canon was faulty so i exchanged it for a C-7070 (a very good camera!)

B B
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:53 PM   #4

I vote for the C8080; however, the C7070 is also a terrific camera. In fact, since you are used to the C5050, the C7070 would probably be perfect for your next camera.

Sell your C5050 on e-bay, then buy a new C7070. That is probably the best all around solution for you.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:13 AM   #5

everybody thanks a lot for your feedbacks, i think i will go for c8080. thanks again.
abdylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:07 AM   #6

I had a c5050 for two years and was very pleased with it.
I changed it six months ago for a canon D300(Rebel).

I have now printed my photos off the first time on a Canon Pixma IP6000 and an very disappointed with the images from the Revel with the standard 17-55 lens. The ones from the C5050 were great.
I very much miss the macro mode and the swivel lens so I am going to sell the rebel and purchase the Olympus C8080. it seems nigh on impossible to beat the olympus for image quality with their great lens.

John
John Cox is offline   Reply With Quote