Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:34 PM   #11

The D70 is actually a 6.24 megapixel (total) CCD with
6.1 million effective pixels.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:04 PM   #12

Let me tell you some things about a DSLR that I havent seen covered here.

Before you buy check out everything, not just the camera body but: lenses, flashes, lens adapters, battery packs, and on and on and on.

Just buying a DSLR based on the body, brand or current feature set is a very bad call IMHO.

Make sure the brand you buy has the lenses you want in the price range you are willing to pay. Also make sure there is other makers of lenses for your brand or camera lens mount other than just the O.E.M. such as Sigma or Tamrom, that can equal less expensive lenses that are just as good as the O.E.M. lenses in the same focal range.

Size is important if it fits your hand. Then if it does or doesnt what about with or without the battery grip and is comfortable to use with the lenses you are going to use on the camera.

Battery options are important too, the new Rebel XT with the battery grip can take 8 AA batteris in a pinch if your normal Canon properity batteries are dead thats a nice backup feature other cameras may have but other do not. Then cost per Li-Ion battery and how many pictures you get per battery is another thing to look at if you have to buy 2-3 batteries for one camera vs 1-2 for another camera that adds to the overall cost over the lifetime of the camera.

Flashes/Flash metering and how the camera uses each are other key feature you may want to look into. Some different metering setups like TTL, E-TTL, E-TTL II, D-TTL, and 3D-TTL have different advantages and disadvantages. So if you are looking to do alot of flash photography these may have a major impact on what camera you buy, or the flash you buy for your camera. Also batteries are important here too, becuase flashes eat AA batteries for lunch so rechargable options are a plus and battery packs where you can store 6-12 AA(normal or rechargable) batteries in an external pack with a wire connection to reduce flash cycle time and battery life is another thing to look at.

So before you buy do your homework and ask questions lots of them and even if they seem dumb ask anyways becuase its better to know before you buy.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:30 PM   #13

Victor,

Great points - you definitely should consider the 'system' you are buying into - lenses, flashes etc. will often outlive your body. Also, thanks for illustrating why this forum and others are the best places to research - instead of just walking into a camera store and asking the sales guy. It's also why I like this forum better than some others. Here there really isn't a 'dumb question'. On other forums there is a lot of flaming and childish derisive comments.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:10 PM   #14

Thanks JohnG for the comment. The only reason I really put so much into the before you buy phase is I spent a lot of time on the body vs body phase for what was I going to buy and so little into the system I was buying into. So things like learning to deal with E-TTL at weddings was a bit of a pain but once I got it down it doesnt bother me. So I rather let people know about issues that I have had with my gear as a Canon guy so then the Nikons guys can do the same so new people buy what they need not what looks better due to price.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:08 PM   #15

tom(ennacac)

tell me about your pentax *ist DS...

i have pretty much settled on that over the canon rebel xt 350...

whats your experience so far, did you make the right choice?
how's the kit lens?

any regrets?

sb
SoxFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:13 PM   #16

I was wondering why the *ist DS over the Rebel XT you lose 1.9 megapixels, ISO 100 Settings, a CF card slot, and get a smaller buffer. but then agian thats just starts is the a specific reason for going to the Pentax setup?

I do see the wide ranges of lenses being a plus along with being compatable with the 645 and 67 series lenses via an adapter. :idea:
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:47 AM   #17
gjb

John Reid wrote:

I read a review on the D70 that said even though the effective megapixels of the D70 is 6, its actually a three megapixel camera. Is that true?

Nagasaki said:

Total rubbish the D70 is a 6Mp camera.

I think John Reid may have been refering to this site:http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...era-Review.htm

They show the effective "resolution" as 4.34 meg. But they also say it produces very good quality photos.

gjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:28 AM   #18

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering why the *ist DS over the Rebel XT you lose 1.9 megapixels, ISO 100 Settings, a CF card slot, and get a smaller buffer. but then agian thats just starts is the a specific reason for going to the Pentax setup?

I do see the wide ranges of lenses being a plus along with being compatable with the 645 and 67 series lenses via an adapter. :idea:
after many posts and replies on many forums such as these, the two cameras seem to come out even in the wash....

couple of things i liked..

1. the pentax felt more comfortable in my hand
2. i liked the viewfinder better..
3. 11point focus
4. avail of aa batteries in a pinch..
5. cf/sd didnt seem to matter so much now there are 1 and 2 gb high speed sd's
6. i like to be different...
7. $100+
8.everyone who owned one seemed to like them...
9. thought i mite be able to find an old pentax manual lens for a steal and still be able to use it...
10. gotta wonder why canon is in all the big chain stores and pentax isnt...is it because canon is better, or just more/ better marketing?
11. i am not going to be enlarging enough to need any more than 6 mp
12. someone (actually a few) suggested that the kit glass on the pentax is better than the kit glass on the canon

hope those are valid reasons? i have been reading and reading and overloading myself with info on a new subject for me..so i hope i am making an informed descsion, it is a lot of $$, and i want to get it right "for me".

btw could you look at my post in misc and see if you could give me some help there..would greatly appreciate it..thanks in advance..

sb
SoxFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:18 PM   #19

The only reason I ask is that you learn alot from others peoples ideas and views.

You are right about the lenses there is tons of lenses for the pentx mount.

Plus megapixels isnt just about size its also about the ability to crop an pictures and still have the room for an 8x10.

Alas I agree 100% with you about size the XT is tiny way too tiny.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:13 PM   #20

Sorry, out of town for a bit!

Pentax*stDS and the reason I bought it over Nikon & Canon

I can use all lenses Pentax ever made for 35mm and still use the meter including screw mount. The photo in the link below was shot with a screw mount 17mm Pentax lens and metered with the internal meter in the DS.

http://www.computerartscompany.com/Ford_PU_Sm.jpg

The view finder is much brighter.

ISO 200 is equal to ISO 100 on other DSLR's

High ISO is less noisy up to 3200

Stainless steel frame, light weight and feels better in my hands than XT of D70- Great Ergonomics.

1.9 Mega pixels is an insignificant difference, as I have made 16"x20" sharp photos from the DS using RAW which can be used in all modes.

XT blows out highlights where the DS does not in the same situation.

The buffer is a minor issue as I never use burst mode.

AA batteries can be purchased anywhere in an emergency.

I use spot meter most of the time and there is 11 point metering.

The kit lens on all DSLR's is a marginal lens compared to other choices, although the Pentax Kit Lens is pretty good.

All controls placed logically and are easy to use.

I am pleased with my choice of the DS and have no Canon envy at all.

The best advice is to check them all out yourself and then make your choice instead of doing what others tell you to do.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote