Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:53 AM   #1

Hi all

I'm looking into getting a cheaper SLR Model(Cannon 350D for example) for outdoor shooting(Nature, Scenery, Sports). What model would you recommend and what lenses would you recommend with the specific model
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:43 PM   #2

Well, since nobody else is biting I guess I will give it a go. I assume by 'cheaper' you are referring to sub-$1000 USD (not sure what that translates to for you or if other cameras fall into this category in Africa so bear with me):

If that's the case there are 3 sub-$1000 cameras I am aware of:

Canon 350d

Canon 300d

Nikon D70.

All 3 are great cameras by all accounts althouth the 350 has only been out for a month so reviews must be taken with a grain of salt. All three are capable of the work you want to do. On the Canon side, the 350 is the upgrade to the 300d - you can search on what it upgrades on. But one thing that can be a big deal to some is that it is actually a physically smaller and lighter camera. Some people like that and others hate it. So, feature wise the 350 is definitely an upgrade but that size issue can put some people off - especially when the camera has a big lense mounted. If you are at all interested in the Nikon route and can wait I have to believe they will have an upgrade out in the fall - Canon has released the 30d and 350d since the Nikon d70 came out so Nikon has to fire back with something.

Now, if you go with the Canon route, the 17-85mm lense has been getting rave reviews - if you can afford the price. That would allow you to do your landscape and nature shots. Sports is a whole other matter and since you are new to DSLR I would suggest starting out with just a single lense until you get familiar with it and the camera and then figure out what you are missing (i.e. how much more reach you feel you will need - how much sports photography you are actually doing). Sports and wildlife shooting can get you into some expensive lenses and the right lense has a lot to do with what sports and what shooting conditions you will be in (or what wildlife you want to shoot).

So, if you want to buy now, read reviews and decide between Nikon and Canon. If you decide Canon - go and physically handle the 350 and 300. If you are OK with the size of the 350 then go with that. With either canon, go with the 17-85mm if you can afford it. If you can't then the 28-135 IS USM is a great all purpose walk around lense (it's what I still use as my walk-around). If that is still too expensive then go with the standard kit lense. That's my two cents
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:11 PM   #3

Don't overlook the Olympus E-300. Good build engineering and quality, and great photos. Oly lens are excellent, and the ultrasonic cleaning is a step ahead of the others. I like the smaller size and weight compared to the others, and its photo quality is second to none. Wide variety of available lens, but to keep cost low the base lens kit is the 14-45 zoom. (28-90 equivalent). However there is a wide variety of lens available as it alsocan use all theE-1 system lens.

All the cameras are good, your personal perferences is the most important consideration. Handle them all and get a feel on which is more comfortable in your hands.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:27 PM   #4

The D70 is down to 399 a day ago, and it has been changing prices day by day, like a roller coaster. The lowest I have seen it at that place was 399, so if you wait till they drop it back down to 399 I would buy it.
http://www.amphotoworld.com/product....&l=ShopCartUSA
I'm buying it once I get the money, I'm buying it because it will fit my lenses from my Nikon N80 (film).
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:50 PM   #5

I suggest strongly you check resellers ratings before buying anything from that firm. It seems that they have some very, very bad reviews from previous customers.

If one company's price for a camera like the D70 is about 400 dollars or morelower than the next lowest, I am very suspicious. Grey Market? Stolen? Sold in parts? Super expensive delivery? Super expensive non-optional memory cards, batteries, or lenses? All quite possible.

I advise saving a bit longer and getting the camera from a legit dealer with good reviews.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:58 PM   #6

Robbo is absolutely right. After you choose your camera, it is absolutely important that you research thoroughly the sellers. Too many crooked internet dealers out there. Go for the reputable dealers that have been in business a long time before the internet.

Good luck,

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:03 PM   #7

johncudd wrote:
Quote:
The D70 is down to 399 a day ago, and it has been changing prices day by day, like a roller coaster. The lowest I have seen it at that place was 399, so if you wait till they drop it back down to 399 I would buy it.
http://www.amphotoworld.com/product....&l=ShopCartUSA
I'm buying it once I get the money, I'm buying it because it will fit my lenses from my Nikon N80 (film).
an absolutely stellar rating

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

i dont think i have seen a number that low in a long time
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:32 AM   #8

Don't forget to add the Pentax *istDS to the list, as that is the one I purchased after looking at the 300D and D70.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:49 AM   #9

Thanks for all your advice guys...your comments have sparked a few more questions though...

"With either canon, go with the 17-85mm if you can afford it. If you can't then the 28-135 IS USM is a great all purpose walk around lense"

I really wish I could understand lense pricing - why is the 17-85mm more expensive then the 28-135(excuse my ignorance). I was on a website yesterday where the price of a 300mm lense was cheaper then say a 100mm lense, obvioulsy it has alot to do with the speed of the lense, but in this case they were the same.

"Don't overlook the Olympus E-300"

I'm quite interested in this camera actually, the specs on it seem great, the only drawback of it is the availability of lenses(Zuiko, is that right) in South Africa is far less Cannon and Nikon lenses. How does this camera compare to the Cannon 350?

"The D70 is down to 399 a day ago"

Here is another ignorant question, but I read a review on the D70 that said even though the effective megapixels of the D70 is 6, its actually a three megapixel camera. Is that true?

Once again, thanks for all your advice.

"Check out the Pentax"

Thanks for the advice Tom, I'll check that out too.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:56 AM   #10

I really wish I could understand lens pricing

So do we all. Usually it is down to quality or features. As you say lens speed is one factor others are the glass used and the autofocus motor. Apart from that you've also got the overall build quality. I have a Nikon 28-80 zoom that came as part of the package with my 35mm SLR and a 12-24 zoom I bought with my D70. Just holding them there is no doubt that the 12-24 is a much better quality lens.

I read a review on the D70 that said even though the effective megapixels of the D70 is 6, its actually a three megapixel camera. Is that true?

Total rubbish the D70 is a 6Mp camera.

If you do look at the D70 I believe the 18-70 kit lens is very good quality. I didn't buy one as it doesn't suit my photography. The 12-24 is a great lens if you want wide angle.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote