Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:20 PM   #1

I want a small digital camera that still takes good images and i'd love some hints and tips... so far im checking out sony t7 and w7 but i know so little about other brands. The camera dosnt need to be released yet, just anounced.

Here is my list of prioraties for a camera, if several things have the same number they are equally important.

1. Takes good images (including little noise) both indoors and outdoors - multi purpose

1. Small, the smaller the better but not at a very high toll to good images (no larger then sony p200)

2. Fast camera, fast boot and fast focus (small intervall between images is nice but not that a high priority)

3. Good video feature (like sony t7 with 640*480 30fps)

4. Big display is nice =)

5. Mountable on a tripod.

The price is the last thing i think about, sure it's always nice if it's cheap but id' rather have the best there is for me.
lyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:39 AM   #2

I just found the Canon PowerShot SD500 or Ixus 700 as it's called in europe.

It seems really cool aswell, man im having a really hard time deciding here.

i wonder how fast the sd card needs to be to record 640*480 clips... i found one which stored 9Mb/sec thats the only 2GB sd card i found
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3

You won't find a small camera that takes good pictures indoors without a flash. And the flash on the T7 is pitifully weak. I don't think it is the camera that fits your needs. You might get marginally good non-flash indoor photos with the Panasonic FX7, but I'm not a big fan of that camera despite the stabilization. Like the T7 it has no optical finder and the LCD doesn't gain up well in low light. It focuses fine but it can be hard to frame.

The SD500 is an excellent camera. I like the overall features of the Sony P200 better, but the SD500 has a stronger flash. The P200 flash isn't weak like the T7, but 11 feet isn't as good as 16 feet. In the US the SD500 is quite pricey right now compared to the P200. You seem to be looking for point and shoot if you were considering the T7, so the manual exposure capabilities and limited manual focus on the P200 might not be significant at all to you. They both have the excellent 640 X 480 30fps movie mode.

9Mb/second is fast enough for the movies. I think a standard SD card is 2Mb/sec. You usually get a fast card if you go to very large sizes.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 4:14 PM   #4

Another thing to consider is how much light the camera lets in. More light equals faster exposure times equals fewer blurry images. Look for an aperture number less than f3.0. The Sony T cameras are not too good in this regard.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:57 AM   #5

Thanks both of you !
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:14 AM   #6

You can consider Fuji F10. It can extend usage ISO to 1600(at least 800 usable), good picture quality, slime and long time battery.
zanwang is offline   Reply With Quote