Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:11 PM   #1

I am planning to buy my first digital SRL. I am deciding between the Digital Rebel and Nikon D70. I currently own Nookon F55 film camera with 2 lenses (AF 28-80 and AF 70-300). If I get the Nikon, I would be able to use my current lenses (as far as I know). However, for the same price I could get the Rebel with lenses made for digital.

Which one would you go for?
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:47 PM   #2
gjb

I'm a big Canon fan but if you have lenses that will work for the D70 then I'd go for the Nikon. It's a great camera and should do most everything you could ask for.
gjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:20 PM   #3

I have the digital Rebel, because I already had the film Rebel with a telephoto lens that I really like.

If you have Nikon-compatible lenses, I wouldn't hesitate going with the D70. It seems to be getting better reviews than the Rebel.
Moonfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:32 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I checked out some reviews too, D70 it will be then!

:-)

I found this store:

http://store.yahoo.com/royalcamera/d70digslrcam.html

Their price is $439 for the D70. Sounds too good to be true. Anyone knows this store?
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:17 AM   #5
gjb

Hi Steele,

I've never had dealings with Royal so I don't know how they conduct business. However you need to make sure that products they sell has the USA warranty, the product is new with all the accessoriesincluded in the unopened box and they have a fair return policy. The price sounds too good to be true. I have purchased cameras from Beach Camera and B&H with no problems. There are goodweb dealers out there, butyou must be careful. If the price is very low there is problably something wrong.

Gary
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:28 AM   #6
gjb

Steele,

I just came up with another thought. Nikon will announce two new DSLRs due out soon, the D70s and D50. The D70s is and upgrade from the D70 and the D50 is an entry level DSLR. You might want to wait for another few weeks to see if either of these meet your needs or the price of the current D70 may start to drop.

Gary