Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:16 PM   #1

I want to find the camera that has the absolute fastest shutter speed. My current Sony takes 2-3 seconds between the time I press the button and the time it records the image, missing vital moments of the shot, especially when photographing my children or sporting events.

So which camera(s) have the shortest lag time?

Thx
Jason P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:42 PM   #2

In general, the dslr's will have the shortest lag time. Since I don't do dslr, I don't know which of them is the absolute fastest. However, the reviews will list the times, with the exception of the Canon DrebXT, the review of which hasn't been finished.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:03 AM   #3

Camera wise It most likey would be the 1Ds Mark II as fastest but for what you would use it for a basic DSLR would do.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:03 AM   #4

in non dslr cameras i think its the kyocera m410r at 3.3fps continuously or 2fps with autofocus between each shot continously.

Being a current happy owner i can vouch that this thing flies. Its a shame that they are stopping production of cameras full stop but it does mean you can get a bargain!

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:28 AM   #5

the absolute cheapest way to get more out of your camera is to buy a FAST memory card. This will make a big difference in the time between shots, especially if the one you have now is slow.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:38 AM   #6

Twofruitz: that is correct up to a point, many of the fast CF cards can write much faster than the cameras they are being put in. If you get a card that is faster than you camera it will not help make operation any faster. The card will be more useful when you decide to move up to a camera capable of faster operating speeds.

VictorEM83: is almost right :-)that little s in the name makes a quite a difference in performance.

canon specs wrote:
Quote:
The Canon PRO DSLR cameras are:

TheEOS 1Ds-MKii is 16mp at 4-fps for 11 shots raw or 32 shots at jpg( 8 )max shutter of 1/8000 second

TheEOS 1D-MKii wins for speed, with 8mp, 8.5-fps for 20 shots RAW or 40 shots at jpg( 8 ), and a max shutter of 1/8000 second

For Comparison the Canon ProSumer DSLR is

The EOS 20Dwith 8mp, at 5-fps for 6 shots RAW or 23 shots jpg( 8 ), max shutter of 1/8000 second.

And the entry level Canon consumer DSLR is
Quote:
The EOS 350D at 3-fps (requires external battery pack to do this) max burst of 14 jpg large/fine, max shutter of 1/4000 second

Big difference in the cameras as you go up the line is the build material and weather sealing.
Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:59 AM   #7

Things are changing with every new camera that appears but, the Sony V3 has a pre-focus shutter lag of only 0.011 sec (11/1000th) which IS faster than some dSLRs.

Which Sony do you have? It sounds like you are not prefocusing if it takes 2-3 seconds to fire.

The more you expect the camera to do, the longer it is going to take. If you take over the decision making, everything gets faster.

For example, if you simply point the camera and press the button the camera has to do this:search for focus; lock focus; set exposure; fire the shutter. If you focus ahead of time (either by half-pressing the shutter button or setting manual focus) you remove that job from the list of things the camera has to do. Less things to do = faster operation. If you set exposure manually, then the camera ONLY has to fire the shutter..but you have to understand what settings you are making in order to have a good picture.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:36 PM   #8

Oh agreed, if you do all the work for the camera the actual shutter fireing can be fast, after all the camera has nothing to do anymore.

That is what I ended up doing most times with my Nikon P&S to get reasonablly fast responses. But you are now paying big bucks for a camera you have to do all the work for.

I used to have a dcs-v1, it did have better low light performance that the Nikon, over all I prefered the nikon for handeling.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:21 PM   #9

for an inexpensive camera, the casio exilim p600/p700's are pretty fast.
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote