Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:16 PM   #1

I have narrowed my decision for a new camera down to the Canon S70,SD500 or the G6.

The three most important things to me in a new camera right now are:

-Indoor/Low light performance
-Sharpness of pictures (I don't like soft/blurry looking pictures)
-Speed if camera operation (focus, button press to actual picture taken, etc)

Allthese cameras seem wonderful and while the SD500 doesn't really have manual controls, the auto seems pretty darn good in most circumstances. My only fear with the G6 is that when I don't feel like messing with manual controls perhaps the pictures it takes won't be as good as a camera designedmore for auto focus and a couple peoplehave told me that the G6's images are sometimes on the "soft" side.

I'm in serious need of some help on making this decision. Anyone?
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:44 PM   #2

I like the G6 quite a bit. The manual focus is ok, but I would prefer a crisper and cleaner (non-pixelated) manual focusing sub-image when using the manual focus function. Maybe they can improve that in successor models. But anyway, the autofocus works quite ok in macro and super-macro mode on the G6. If anybody says the G6 produces soft images...then there's a lot of G6 photos on the internet. The following links are some of my own amateur pics from my G6.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ht=dragonflies
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...62&forum_id=11

I like the G6 because it produces sharp photos.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:21 PM   #3

Thanks, those are quite nice and very crisp.

How well would you say the autofocus works in standard shots, not macro. Like pictures of family on vacation or an air show, etc?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:30 PM   #4

I haven't done airshows yet, but family pics on vacation are definitely no problem for the G6. Although, there is one problem with the G6 with indoor use.... and that's the red-eye problem. I feel that this camera truly has above average rate of red eye. My nikon 950 doesn't have as much red-eye shots as seen from G6 pictures. Anyhow, one way to get around it is to have external flash, provided we're not worried about carrying the flash around.

With airshows, maybe you need a camera with bigger zoom. I have a feeling that the G6 might not have big enough zoom for aircraft at a distance. But for stationary planes on the ground, you'll get really decent pictures from a G6. I haven't used the other two cameras you mentioned yet, but just thought I'd mention some good points about the G6. There is another hassle with the G6 though...the unlocking lever for the mode dial easily catches onto the canon G6 camera case (the psc-70). To get around this problem, I put the camera into the case in the reverse direction, with the lens facing toward the rear of the case.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:40 PM   #5

Thanks. I'm definitely leaning toward the G6, even if I end up not using them a lot, the fullmanual mode will be nice.

Since you have real world experience with the camera...how many shots do you typically get per charge of the battery? I imagine I should get a spare to be safe.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:16 AM   #6

I haven't counted the number of shots that I could take on the battery yet. I recall it's a BP511 type. Actually, I have one standard one, and the other one is a higher capacity one, but I can't remember which is which in terms of the model code...one is BP511, and the other is BP511A.

One battery lasts for ages, but I sometimes don't keep a track of how much I used the camera...so I do get low power warnings sometimes. But no fear...because I just pop in the spare charged battery and back in action again. I bought my battery from batterybarn.com ... I found them reliable, and no fuss. I even ordered a second charger from them because I thought that these battery take a long time to charge. But now, I found out that they don't take that long to charge, so one charger should have been fine. So I didn't actually need the second charger hehe