Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:47 PM   #1

Hello, I just got into the dig SLR field about six months ago. I am now running my own photo site and needed to add a digital camera to equipment (besides my little Kodak). I went with the Rebel EOS, mainly because of cost and because I could use my Canon lenses. Well, I am started to wonder if I should have gone for a better camera. The camera does well as long as I keep the prints relatively small. I'm still learning the digital lingo, but the raw tiffs are 600 dpi. I want to be able to produce magazine cover material etc and I'm still not sure if this camera can do that. From what I can tell from 12x18 prints, they look good, but when I look at the photo stats, the image says it's only 3x5 at 600 dpi.

I'm probably not making sense here, so here are my questions.

What are the limits of the Digital rebel?

How large can a print be made at 300 dpi?

Can I just change the dpi to 300+?

JPG, even large format look bad printed out, do I need to change the DPI before I print them?

I was told when I bought the camera that you can blow up these images to 24x36 no problem, not I'm not sure now. You can now get the new rebel with 2 more megapixles for about the same price I paid six months ago, is that camera that much different?

Should I cut my losses and get into a 20D or something or wait it out and make this a second camera in a year or so?

Thanks in advance for any help here!
KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:42 AM   #2

The Rebel's top quality pics have a resolution of 3072 X 2048. If you demand 300 DPI pics, you could get a max of about 8 X 10". I don't know of anybody who needs 600 DPI. I am not sure that even using a magnifying glass you could notice much difference in detail between 300 DPI and 600 DPI. I find 200 DPI quite enough for me.

One of your questions was, "What the limits of the Digital Rebel"? What do you mean? What's the maximum size print you could make from its best images?

I think you need to get a little better idea about the relationship between DPI and pixels or you may end up disappointed with the Rebel's younger brother, too.

Hang in there!

If you want a cheaper non digital SLRcamera with the capability of making bigger prints, try Fuji S7000 or the E550. They have an interpolated image size of 12 megapixels. It's not the same as 12 megapixels uninterpolated (some reviewers have concluded they are similar in detail to 7 and 8 megapixel cameras' images), but the fine quality JPEG images by that camera (about 4.5 megapixels each) do print up nicely. Most Fuji S7000 and E550 owners will probably echo this opinion. However, the images of either of these cameras is noisier than those of the Digital Rebel. I saw my brother's Digital Rebel pictures and to me they looked amazingly sharp and noise free.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:51 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, yea, I'm still a bit confused with all the resolution lingo, so many variables. Like I said, I'm just getting into the digital side of things, have always used film. I was just wondering if I should have gone with a 20D or something, but then again, in a year or so, there will be something much better. Problem is, I now sell prints and digital images, so I need to be able to produce waht the client wants. I assume I'm ok with the digital as long as the end size is under 18x24 or that's what I have come up with.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:34 AM   #4

I know almost nothing about the professional side of digital photography. I think you did the right thing, getting the Rebel, if you were going to get a DSLR.Other more expensive cameras may have superior resolution and faster burst modes, and maybe even slightly better low lightperformance, but for someone who has been into digital photography for just a short time, the Digital Rebel is a great camerato learn with.When you havelearned how to use it better, you will be ready for another, more expensive camera. If you reallyregret your purchase, I am sure you can sell your camera on Ebay.

I am currently living in Taiwan. Two weeks ago, I attended a 4 hour photo shootwith some friends. The camera used by the photographer at that studio was a Nikon D-70. Most reviewers that I have read rate the Digital Rebel's picture quality at slightlybetter than the D-70's (though the D-70 has superior burst modes). Anyway, I saw the images from that shoot last week. Very sharp. Very impressive. I think my friends will get(among others) one print at 44cm X 44 cm. That's over 17 inches squared. The pics I saw at that size were very sharp.

Anyway, don'tbe too hard on yourself. I wishI had a Digital Rebel now. Am saving up for a DSLR purchase later this year.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 6:36 PM   #5

Thanks robo, I think it will pay off waiting. I love my rebel, I just want to be able to produce when asked.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:01 PM   #6

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...uary_2005.html

Are you confusing DPI for PPI?? 300 PPI is what is considered to be needed to get near film quality prints. Anything more than that is counter productive as printers (from what I understand) will just discard the extra pixels.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote