Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:18 PM   #1

I am looking for a small 3-4mp digital camera that takes decent photos and can fit in a shirt pocket. I was hoping to spend no more than 150 dollars. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I already have a nice expensive minolta I use for web design work. My current point and shoot is a toshiba 3mp which I really like but it is too bulky to carry without it being in a camera bag which is a pain. This would be one for quick shots when out with friends or on vacation.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
dfluxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:28 PM   #2

While it's not too hard to find a decent p&s under $150, it is a bit harder to find one that will fit in a shirt pocket. The only ones I can think of are the little Olympus that runs about $149 at Wal-Mart, and possibly the Nikon 3200. I think the Oly model no. is 535, but don't quote me on that. The Nikon would be a better choice, but is only at that price point when on sale. Stop by your local Wal-Mart....

If you can up the budget a bit to slightly under $200, you can consider the newer Nikon's, and the Canon A510.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:12 PM   #3

You will need a memory card for whatever you buy. The ones that come with the camera or the cameras with built-in memory don't have enough to take more than a dozen or so best quality shots.

The inexpensive digital cameras come with AA batteries so they can give you cheap alkaline batteries and don't have to include a charger and rechargeable batteries. AAs tend to make the camera a little bulkier, which is why you usually have to pay a little more for real shirt-pocket ability. Akkalines or disposable lithium batteries get expensive enough it inhibits your taking large amounts of shots, so you eliminate one of the advantages of digital. I think Wal-Mart has a combination charger and NiMH batteries for less than $20, and it is a good buy if you go with an AA camera.

You just missed a good Nikon rebate. You might hold out until someone else comes up with a good rebate on a small camera with a small proprietary rechargeable lithium battery and charger.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:04 PM   #4

Whatever I bought I was going to try to get one with an sdslot because I already have a 32, 128, and 256mb that I use with my other camera. I will check out the reccomendations that you made Phil. I could go $200 for the camera I just don't want to get too expensive for a simple point and shoot. I just started watching bensbargains for a good camera deal. Thanks for the help. If anyone jas any other suggestions for a small camera I would welcome them.
dfluxnet is offline   Reply With Quote